New Mot Rule - Standard Xenons?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The question has been asked and answered several times in several different threads

Final answer is its needs headlight washers, levelers can be exempt if the vehicle is fitted with sports suspension

This is not an MOT requirement, its in construction and build regulations and has been since Xenon headlights have been fitted to cars, the only cars I'm aware of which will be effected by this are jap imports, anything else conforms to C&B regs for europe.

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
I believe its a question that needs to be asked, and therefore can have as many threads as it likes. This is not discussing all the rules as a whole, its only discussing one.

I have searched and this topic is specifically about standard cars with standard xenons, Are people expected to start drilling there bumpers and installing washer bottles and ropey "self level" setups?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I do take your point Jason, but JCLC also correct with there's a lot of info etc in the other thread too as well as here. But regardless the sports suspension bit he mentioned must be the get around, well for mainly jap cars anyway like some of the ones we've mentioned?

Why is that about 'sports suspension' anyhoo?! :confounded: Thats in the SVA list actually the more i think about it? Is it cause they'll be lower to the ground and not blinding people or something crazy like that?! :confounded:
Final answer is its needs headlight washers, levelers can be exempt if the vehicle is fitted with sports suspension

This is not an MOT requirement, its in construction and build regulations and has been since Xenon headlights have been fitted to cars, the only cars I'm aware of which will be effected by this are jap imports, anything else conforms to C&B regs for europe.

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
Why is that about 'sports suspension' anyhoo?!

Vague statment is vague.

Will fire some sports yellow Hammerite paint on the springs in the car - instant sports suspension.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta

What if you have removed and flushed the stupid looking plastic pieces of tat (that woundnt wash feck all off your headlights anyway) from the front bumper before it was illegal to do so?

Its passed the MOT 3 times with them removed....so am i going to fail this year all of a sudden?

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Why save that pic on your phone, that is not the DVA testers manual, the only up to date manual for DVA is online

How many threads are we really going to have about this??
Because it's in black and white, clearly stating MOT inspection manual, and can offer some form of back up?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I have searched and this topic is specifically about standard cars with standard xenons, Are people expected to start drilling there bumpers and installing washer bottles and ropey "self level" setups?
Or remove the HID's....

I do take your point Jason, but JCLC also correct with there's a lot of info etc in the other thread too as well as here. But regardless the sports suspension bit he mentioned must be the get around, well for mainly jap cars anyway like some of the ones we've mentioned?

Why is that about 'sports suspension' anyhoo?! :confounded: Thats in the SVA list actually the more i think about it? Is it cause they'll be lower to the ground and not blinding people or something crazy like that?! :confounded:

Sports suspension won't allow the back of the car to go down when a load is added, hense the headlight alighnment doesn't raise.

What if you have removed and flushed the stupid looking plastic pieces of tat (that woundnt wash feck all off your headlights anyway) from the front bumper before it was illegal to do so?

Its passed the MOT 3 times with them removed....so am i going to fail this year all of a sudden?
Headlight washers just need to be fitted and need to work, nothing to state how effective they have to be, so, no, without them it will fail this year, hense why its called "Changes"

Because it's in black and white, clearly stating MOT inspection manual, and can offer some form of back up?
http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/dva-mot-tester-manual-now-online.97234/

Changes in the manual are in red.

Because DVA are Quality Assured, this means part of the standards set is any paper must have a printed date and update by date, so this has meant that alot of forms, including the testers manual are now electronic and I can promise you there is no hard copy of the DVA testers manual unless a member of the public has printed one, even then it would need to have been printed within the last 2 months to be up to date

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Looks like the VOSA manual to me.

Edit, it is:

Page 28: http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Don't think it applies to NI but I guess it could be used on principal. Still, I'd heed the advice of the actual MOT tester person on here (JCLC) than rely on a guide for UK mainland MOT's
VOSA manual doesn't apply to NI, however it is used for guidence on DVA manual, same as DVA doesn't apply to NCT. All testing agency's have EU regulations to conform too, how each testing agency does it is between them and the EU powers that be, its another case of how we are only part of the UK when its suits

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Headlight washers just need to be fitted and need to work, nothing to state how effective they have to be, so, no, without them it will fail this year, hense why its called "Changes"

Cheers (y) or not as the case may be.

Im just gonna take it, fail and then plead my case however fruitless that might be......hopefully it will work out better than having to take to the bumper with a dremmel

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Or remove the HID's....

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/dva-mot-tester-manual-now-online.97234/

Changes in the manual are in red.

Because DVA are Quality Assured, this means part of the standards set is any paper must have a printed date and update by date, so this has meant that alot of forms, including the testers manual are now electronic and I can promise you there is no hard copy of the DVA testers manual unless a member of the public has printed one, even then it would need to have been printed within the last 2 months to be up to date

Okay, Thanks JCLC

EDIT: Also now just as confused as i was initially by reading that.
Seems that the rules are there, but there coverage in the rules to bend them slightly at the testers discretion, as stated previously in this thread, ? Right? or Wrong?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Not so much bend them slightly, I assume you are refering to the fitting of the levelling system to cars with sports suspension?

Reason as I stated above is because the rear of a car which is lowered / stiffened isn't gong to move significantly (sp) if a load is placed in it, same rule would also apply to the likes of a Xantia / C5 with self leveling suspension

The rules are there, but some common sense needs to be applied as well.

Now before the rest of you jump on that statement, headlight washers are a legal requirement, they need to be there and need to squirt water on the light, there is no requirements as to how effective they have to be (Thats where the DVA minimum standard thing comes in)

I'm actually more surprised that no one is jumping on the fact that SRS lights now have to work, or a suspension or steering joint with a split in the boot is now a reason for fail, even if showing no signs of wear.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Now before the rest of you jump on that statement, headlight washers are a legal requirement, they need to be there and need to squirt water on the light, there is no requirements as to how effective they have to be (Thats where the DVA minimum standard thing comes in)

I'm actually more surprised that no one is jumping on the fact that SRS lights now have to work, or a suspension or steering joint with a split in the boot is now a reason for fail, even if showing no signs of wear.

Basically if you have sports uprated suspension, BUT have no washing system, there is a chance you may not pass?

In regards to srs etc, I would have assumed most peoples system would be active, and realise a warning light is an issue

Splits in the boot, guess thats something people have overlooked.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Pffft my Alfa has the light blaring away.
Most Alfa's are the same ffs, next to Renault I've never seen a car as bad for electrical issues

I'd say half of cars coming through the door, if not more are showing a warning light of some sort, basically now, ANY warning light except for the engine light is a refusal.

Basically if you have sports uprated suspension, BUT have no washing system, there is a chance you may not pass?

In regards to srs etc, I would have assumed most peoples system would be active, and realise a warning light is an issue

Splits in the boot, guess thats something people have overlooked.
Its not a chance, it won't pass.

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
remove the bulb lol. and you answered the reason in ur response. "My Alfa" :p Just kidding.
The srs light is rather obvious that it would need extinguished tho,

No use, it has to illuminate for a few secs then distingish, removing it will fail.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.