DVA (MOT) Tester Manual - Now Online

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rushe

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaguar/ Chevy S1
Hey, I passed you on Tues morning, I'm guessing you were on your way to Newbuildings, it was me tested that pick-up 2 years ago, still looks as good as ever man

Was up for test on tuesday night, had a bit of a disagreement with your colleges with regards number plates but all sorted now (y)

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
Found this interesting:

Note:
If a vehicle has been issued with a Department’s Approval Certificate (SVA), the
speedometer is only required to be marked in MPH.

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom of ...nspection Manual/Speedometer - Tachogragh.pdf

How many people on here with imports have been made to fit dual calibrated dials?

jamesy
Thats been in force for over 2 years now, but many cars don't state on the V5 that the SVA has been approved, which is whats required to be exempt from that regualtion

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Surely if you can show them your SVA certificate they should not be able to enforce that?

johnm

RMS Regular
Found this interesting:

Note:
If a vehicle has been issued with a Department’s Approval Certificate (SVA), the
speedometer is only required to be marked in MPH.

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom of ...nspection Manual/Speedometer - Tachogragh.pdf

How many people on here with imports have been made to fit dual calibrated dials?

jamesy

On my liner I chanced my arm to see what they would say with it just in kmh, said they had to be dual marked (its a 95 so no sva) I ended up just making stickers for it and put them on, passed no problem. Everything still runs in kmh though as the duffer-ma-dangle you get to convert it to mph that goes onto the speedo cable disrupts the ecu and makes the steering lighter and the car doesnt behave the same.

Brilliant find though!! Was just asking about this on DW yesterday.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Does the HICAS light flick on by any chance John? Sounds like its not wired correctly...

johnm

RMS Regular
Havent done it on this one. couple of guys I know did it and they all had the same thing, no hicas light far as I remember though. Remember checking it out on SOC to see which one to get and alot of people there were saying the same thing so instead of trying it i just put the stickers on. (doing this hung over is not suggested!!!:mad: lol)

Saying that the hicas is getting taken out this weekend, do you know of a way to stop the light staying on? Would i be right in saying with the light on it would be a fail?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Aye i remember on an old Skyline of mine, the converter wiring diagram wasnt right and sent the HICAS boogaloo sometimes kicking in and sometimes not even on straight lines :confounded: But if getting rid then all the better :p

Im afraid i dont know about the light thing bar taking out the bulb lol! But it wont fail MOT for it i think?

Cess

RMS Staff
Right, so JDM cars over 10 years old, that don't need SVA'd will always required dual calibrated speedos for MOT?

However, cars that have been SVA tested only require MPH clocks?

johnm

RMS Regular
Thats it mate yep.(y)
So if your gettting a jdm car post 2000, then you will need to change it to mph as they're all in kmh, or have it so that instead of saying kmh it just says mph and have the sva cert.

@Daddyc, lol, on a straight would be fun with the cops behind you...have you been drinking sir? lol.
yeah thats what i was thinking, thought i heard some-one saying about a fix for it. I'll have a ganders on soc. cheerso.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.