New Mot Rule - Standard Xenons?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Andy, do headlight washers and wipers have to work even if you have standard healights without xenon's? My mate in work has an old 96 Volvo 960 and they dont work and also has a dash light on because of it.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
So can someone confirm this for me....

For example a MG ZT/Rover 75 wth Xenons....

Pre 2002 cars do not come with self leveling kits only xenons with washer jets.

Will this fail a MOT as its all standard MG Rover kit?

It can not be retro fitted to a pre2002 car without a complete car to donate all ecu's and a recode of all ecu code etc.

Anyone?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
seemingly you can evade the requirement for self levelling if you have 'sports suspension'...?

To be honest Id say the main things they would be on the look out for are the washers?

BUt yeah if they are not happy that your car doesnt have the self levelling, then you're screwed, like all the evo/dc5 owners that havent got washers

Shaun Costello

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 Fiesta Zetec
A boy I know has an accord type r and it has factory fitted xenons but failed mot because the previous one smoothed the washer jets out of the bumper he drilled tiny holes and put bonnet washers in passed and was quite a tidy job!

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
Should there not be a time limit on how far back these changes can be applied? Same way old cars don't have to have seatbelts or cats etc?
That's my main gripe over conforming to the new regulations.
Like over 10 years?
I just swap the bulbs and they are back in the car within 5 min if getting home

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
This is the reply I got from the DVLNI

Vehicles fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights are required to be fitted with headlamp washers by the manufacturer when new under Type Approval Regulations, the technical requirements of which are contained in United Nations Regulations UNECE Regulation 48.

Prior to 2009 where vehicles entered into service for the first time in Northern Ireland (as in GB) without the required Type Approval Certificate, and prior to registration, must undergo a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test. As in Type Approval Regulations where HID headlights are fitted they must also have headlamp washers and self levelling systems fitted.

From the 1st February 2012 under the 2010/48 EU Directive these became testable items as part of the 'MOT' test, and where missing or defective a certificate must be refused.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
So can someone confirm this for me...

This might help.
I got asked during my test if the 200 had 'sports suspension'...
I said yes.
The tester said 'that's gran then hi'

There is no definition of 'sports suspension' so it's your opinion/reccommendation.... There might be more work convincing the tester that there is sports suspension in a coffin dodger special where the hope is that the occupants expire before the head gasket though :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This is the reply I got from the DVLNI

Vehicles fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights are required to be fitted with headlamp washers by the manufacturer when new under Type Approval Regulations, the technical requirements of which are contained in United Nations Regulations UNECE Regulation 48.

Prior to 2009 where vehicles entered into service for the first time in Northern Ireland (as in GB) without the required Type Approval Certificate, and prior to registration, must undergo a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test. As in Type Approval Regulations where HID headlights are fitted they must also have headlamp washers and self levelling systems fitted.

From the 1st February 2012 under the 2010/48 EU Directive these became testable items as part of the 'MOT' test, and where missing or defective a certificate must be refused.

EU balls, because England/Scotland/Wales are also in Europe, yet they dont have the same BS rule for them and HID's. They seen sense and the test was re-worded that they may be fitted and if fitted must work.. Not must be fitted like our idiots, when they were never ****ing fitted in the first place !!! Their stupidity knows no bounds !

Reactions: K55
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.