Chris' Mk5 GTI Golf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
So I finally decided to break my bond with the e39 5 Series and buy something that was a bit more of an all-rounder.

I wanted something fun that I could tinker and tune and also a bit lighter on fuel than the bmw as it is just a heavy cruiser!

I was in the notion of GTI Golfs, Corsa/Astra VXRs, Focus ST etc. Was chatting with @Boydie and he mentioned that he saw one at PMG when the car was in.
Got in touch with @big_pete about the car and got a look round it and a test drive when I left Boydie up to collect the S3, went back 2 days later with a deposit!

The car was previously owned by @J-VW on here and is an absolute credit to him, it really is immaculate for its age and mileage. Joe is also a great guy to chat with and gave me lots of background knowledge and help on the car already!
Can't thank Joe and Pete enough, very happy with the new wagon.

Spec -
2.0 TFSI GTI mk5 Golf
Tornado Red
Cloth GTI Buckets
OBD Stage 1 - Panel Filter, Turbo back and remap (around 250bhp)
Lowered slightly on FK springs I believe
18" Monza 2 wheels refurbed in Honda Kaiser Silver

(Joes thread is still live on here for anyone interested and it shows some great history and other photos of the car)

So far I only have some photos from a run up the coast on wednesday to get to know it a bit better!

Currently Photobucket has lost about 10 pictures of it, so here are the 3 I have left...

IMG-20140424-WA0012_zps7a2ea3bc.jpg

IMG-20140424-WA0000_zps43d602e2.jpg

IMG-20140424-WA0001_zps77a4590b.jpg

Loving having a CRZ plate as my name is Chris and I always joked about getting a CRZ plate car when they came out. Would maybe get a nice 2 or 3 digit plate in future with CRZ as the lettering if I could tbh.

IMO the car is sitting nicely at the minute and I just want to enjoy it for a while, when the bank balance recovers a little I shall start buying it a few wee things to make it my own. Will probably buy it coilovers towards the other end of summer as I want to get it a bit lower and sit on the wheels nicely!

I shall stick more photos up as and when photobucket allows me haha.

Chris.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Haha Im finding the seating position very different to the bm, might have to raise the seat a tad, I do feel a bit like a child in it

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Thanks guys, I've covered something like 180 miles in 3 days and I've just loved every second of it. It pulls incredibly well for 250bhp

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
@J-VW @big_pete have either of you got the wind deflectors that were in the for sale photos or have they been sold on?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Mk5 GTi's are a modern day classic. the only hot hatch I'd consider buying.

health to drive, Sir.

J-VW

RMS Regular
Looks great Chris, you've got yourself a cracking GTI !!

As for the deflectors, they are sitting in the shed, yours for 20 quid pal if you want them? Should also have a set of plates with the stubby metro font that you can have.

Must get a thread up for the GTI's replacement ;)

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Seen it up at Pete's, really is a very clean car and there's a nice rip off the exhaust. Jobs a goodun

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Yes @richie_mck it's nice and subtle at low revs but the only way I can describe it is a special occasion every single time the turbo spools! haha def addicted to turbos now thanks to this golf...

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Obligatory RMS sticker fitted to back window yesterday and an atmospheric DV adaptor ordered up!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Was originally thinking of changing the wheels but they look great on it in that honda silver! Shall keep them until its on coilovers and see how she sits down on them!

Think il take it easy until next payday then it can get wind deflectors and subtle rear tints, thinking around 30% not too dark!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Very nice mate. What map is it that's on it?

There's still nothing like a MK5 GTI to tick all the boxes IMO.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
OBD Autotune stage 1 with panel filter and full ex system, apparently made 259 on dyno but don't have printout to prove, @J-VW might have some evidence? it does make a hell of a lot of boost for a standard turbo mid rev range and it feels every bit of 250 bhp. Just lovely to drive

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
UPDATE! Post whore has been. I literally ordered this yesterday from god knows where in the uk.

IMG_20140425_104744_zps4aec0ce6.jpg

Diverter Valve adaptor is here... Overalls are on. Going to make the most of this day off work even if the ground is soaking and I can't be bothered driving it up to the garage where I normally do my work lol

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Fitted... in an hour on my driveway with my low profile jack that doesn't quite lift a car high enough for sensible work but is very useful when you like cars as low as my bmw was...
Thought the jack was going to give before it was even high enough to get the axle stands under but its done now.

Tested it stationary there, engine was cold but with mild revs its making all the right noises at the right times and I don't have any new hissing or warning lights so I assume the o-rings have seated ok.
Shall test drive properly after some lunch I think!

Also my heart sank when I got under the car, oil everywhere. Luckily a quick investigation found a leaky sump plug and the rest is just spray from it dripping while moving. Shall have to get a socket on it and give it a nip, see if it will hold out until next service.

-Note to self, probably get up the effort and drive to the garage in future and use the full size jack and stands so i'm not having to squeeze myself under the engine. Im just a lazy sod haha

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Yeah @pablo I lay to one side of the sump, sort of under the pedals and got one arm over the driveshaft and the other in from behind the wheel, let me steer and drive the allen key with 2 hands which was needed as the standard bolts were a bit stiff. I was careful not to nip the new bolts up too much as I see they have given me an alloy adaptor and stainless bolts and I know they will expand at different rates. Fingers crossed nothing cracks haha

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.