Chris' Mk5 GTI Golf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

willy_c

RMS Regular
Looks great, always had a soft spot for a MK5 on alphards.
Only thing I would change would be to add spacers, get rid of the tucked look.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Looks great, always had a soft spot for a MK5 on alphards.
Only thing I would change would be to add spacers, get rid of the tucked look.
I would add spacers, thought of even adding rears so I can still drive it lol however, I am already having to use 50mm long bolts to fit the alphards...
More likely to change the wheels next year just I think lol

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Ok so last week I swapped this back onto the 18" mk6 GTI wheels. Obviously the tyre sizes are all wrong for the air suspension so I cant even lower it completely anymore, plus they look really lost in the arches compared to being low on the alphards.
I am tempted to start playing with tyre sizes on them but the tyres arent in bad nick on them now and the rims arent really wide enough to get any sort of stretch (18x7.5j). 205/35 tyres would be the best probably.
Tempted to just give the alphards a good clean and seal up and fit them again... they are nearly due a refurb anyway as the lips arent in the best of nick so I almost feel it would be ok using them over the winter lol...
Decisions decisions!
Looking forward to the rolling road day anyway, get a print out of what she really puts down!

Chris.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Just seal the alphards with poor boys, clean regularly and drive on - did the same with my BBS CH and Porsche alloys throughout all the winters and no issues

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Just seal the alphards with poor boys, clean regularly and drive on - did the same with my BBS CH and Porsche alloys throughout all the winters and no issues
Yeah I have autoglym stuff I use on them over the summer and it seems spot on for a couple of weeks at a time

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
any more updates with the car?
None! Car shall be staying as it is for the near future, need to get a few bits and bobs tidied up at some point but its nothing more than servicing and wear and tear. Needs wiper blades and an abs sensor among other things but Xmas has cost me a lot and we are planning a house move and a wedding within the next 14 months so I really am gonna just drive and enjoy it this year as much as possible! Money spent on fuel this year would be a nice change.
The Alphards just got 4 new tyres and I would like to get a carbon clean/injectors cleaned and resealed and swirl flaps deleted at some point before summer but I will need to see how the cash flow goes! Money permitting I still want a HPFP upgrade to stop this pulling timing under big loads (map is silly aggressive at low revs in 5th etc just takes a second for the pump to catch up on flow rate) but thats just something I am holding off for lol. Let the bank recover and get the abs etc sorted is my first priority!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Actually wipers and abs sensor ordered this afternoon, so hopefully that will be everything sorted this weekend!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
they dont have swirl flaps do they?
They have runner flaps on the inlet which can break similar to swirl flaps (but less common) but also when running high PSI they can pose as a restriction to flow when fully open. Just thinking at 120k miles if I am going to the bother of getting the inlet off and a full clean and reseal I may as well get them deleted as well! (plus apparently it gets you more pops and bangs on the over run which is always welcomed)

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
Money permitting I still want a HPFP upgrade to stop this pulling timing under big loads (map is silly aggressive at low revs in 5th etc just takes a second for the pump to catch up on flow rate) but thats just something I am holding off for lol. Let the bank recover and get the abs etc sorted is my first priority!

You may save up some more coin for one of these hybrid k03 turbos a crowd in England are doing. £850 which is directly replaces the existing turbo, guy had it RR'd and he made ~350bhp with stock injectors. :p k04 power without the hassle of upgrading injectors and additional hoses, Just putting ideas in your head here !

Last edited:

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
You may save up some more coin for one of these hybrid k03 turbos a crowd in England are doing. £850 which is directly replaces the existing turbo, guy had it RR'd and he made ~350bhp with stock injectors. :p k04 power without the hassle of upgrading injectors and additional hoses, Just putting ideas in your head here !
Already well aware of these lol il wait until after the wedding and see if I still own it by then haha will need clutch and flywheel before mega power too I'm sure

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
And an LSD would be on the wish list if i was going to do the clutch and flywheel... eye watering amount of money would need to be spent on this yet to get a useful 350bhp

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
And an LSD would be on the wish list if i was going to do the clutch and flywheel... eye watering amount of money would need to be spent on this yet to get a useful 350bhp
I know of a car with 340bhp that wouldn't be eye watering :p

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Spent a very long Saturday doing a few jobs to the golf, bit of a wire tidy and fuse relocation on the air install under the boot floor, wiper change, rear heat shields repaired and reattached properly (turning to rust rather quickly) and most of the day was spent changing the abs sensor, was completely seized in place so ended up pulling the calliper, carrier and disk off and folding the sensor up then punching it through the hole. Had to get a file and sit for ages dressing the hole back up too as it was so choked up in corrosion. Obviously after all this the fault is still there and I now think I need an abs ring which of course is part of the hub and bearing and all in one piece... I will get round to sorting one of these later in the week and throw it in when I get the chance. Hopefully that will resolve my issue!
Was not best pleased after my efforts, was a crappy cold garage day on Saturday, normally I rather enjoy my tinker time but not today!
Car also hasn't been cleaned in 2 or so weeks and its horrible too lol Just no spare time at the min!
image1.JPG
Chris.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Had a rather fun little project in the back of my head for this. Fed up with people taking things too seriously and paying a premium for shiny bits just because they're for the VAG market.
So... I made myself this instead!
13263898_10210094575429364_7054564303418174174_n.jpg

Its good not to take things too seriously sometimes lol!

Chris.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Haven't updated this in a while...
Made quite a few changes to the car recently! Got myself another rear subframe from the breakers in really good nick and set about cleaning it up, painting it and recapping holes etc.
Fitted it along with rebushed lower control arms to get rid of a niggling alignment problem ive had for about 6 months now since I knocked a kerb in the bad weather.
Thankfully when I had the 2 subframes side by side on the ground I was able to find a wrinkle in the old one on one of the camber control arm mounts. Thankfully the next morning it was up to Kerrs and they gave it the thumbs up. Very pleased!
IMG_3195.JPG

I then set about redoing my boot build for the air suspension. It was nice having the tank on show on the strut brace and stuff but it left the car being an impractical daily if you needed to put anything bulky in the boot and the dogs were always in the back seat of the car making a mess where I would rather contain them to the boot and its safer for all involved too.

So I moved the air tank and bolted it to the false floor that hides the compressors and management, drilled holes and dropped the airline straight down. This means now the tank is in the angle of the back seat which slopes backwards. Meaning the top of the seat is inline with the outer edge of the tank. Cut and tidied up a bit of mesh panel I had and fitted that to protect the tank over the top of a seat hammock as a boot liner. Then fitted a conventional dog guard over that to stop the dogs entering the car and it firmly holds the mesh in too.
Then I fitted the guard to the floor with self tappers and drilled and pinned the extending parts in place so its fitted to the car rather than being universal (Our rescue dog Milo can get a bit lively lol)
IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

Tank can be drained as normal through ski hatch in back seat and compressor fuse is mounted at the rear of false floor, to save removal of everything for routine maintenance.
Haven't got a photo with the guard in place too yet. Also waiting on my rubber boot liner to arrive and that will be the final big piece.

Yesterday I picked up some parts (Octavia gas struts, Leon ball pins and Scirocco bump stops and set about a bit of VCDS coding...

Just one more little idea I'm playing with doing. Waiting on something being made up to try and I will update after!

If everything has to be a compromise, why not make it the best compromise it can be lol...
Fast. Low. Functional... (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.