What car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I do not see the point in the extra excess you will pay for a diesel car especially if you are looking something quick. Diesel cars aren't fast as such, an equivalent horse power petrol car will generally win a race.

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Weighing everything up, i would consider a performance petrol too, i could cut my miles down a little if need be

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Not unhappy with my car at all, if it had more grunt i'd probably hang onto it. I just want to evolve to something quicker.

330 seems to be the ideal car for what i want/need, im just faced with, would it really feel like i had a new car or is it just the same deal but quicker

This is my car, you can see what i mean

I'm a numbskull. I read your original post as you having a 118d!

Duh!!

Well then, yes, a 330d is gonna be similar to what you have, but that's no bad thing.

Being 23, you've got a lovely car. zHave you priced insurance for a 330d? Might be worth checking. Price a 330i as well while you're at it.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I insured my 330ci at 23 for reasonable money. Have a look at them. Not woeful on petrol if your doing long journeys.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Weighing everything up, i would consider a performance petrol too, i could cut my miles down a little if need be

Driving Performance petrol isnt as bad as they sound! As you know the vectra is a diesel and for me driving it to work and back every day over a week, compared to the TT i think it worked out at over all i saved a fiver a week driving a diesel, even compared to my 1.6 Focus i only saved £8 driving the vectra. Prior to working this out i was looking at diesel golfs cause "id save a fortune" but truth being id of saved very little. Granted if i was doing longer jouneys id be better off in a diesel, vectra fairly chews up miles no problem up to belfast and newry etc. Yet to see what the TT is like on long jorneys though as any time ive been on motor way ive not exactly been in an eco mood :oops:

028butlerboy

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy2k TDI
If you're doing over 20k a year and planning on keeping it a while then get a diesel. If not then you will pick up a nicer petrol equivalent for your budget and have a more enjoyable experience while you're at it.

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Well i was looking at performance petrols until i heard they were near £300 to tax for the year, i would really grudge giving that for tax

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Considering any suggestions at the moment

Opinions on one of these?

8096_10150976732787140_946145161_n.jpg

9-3 Aero 1.9 TTid, full heated leather, sat nav, xenons.

Good looking car, sharp after a map and can be got for decent money

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Considering any suggestions at the moment

Opinions on one of these?

8096_10150976732787140_946145161_n.jpg

9-3 Aero 1.9 TTid, full heated leather, sat nav, xenons.

Good looking car, sharp after a map and can be got for decent money

Lovely looking motors, but is that engine based on the Fiat/GM diesel single turbo engine that's in the 150bhp Vectra/Astra? If so, you might want to avoid.

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Not that you ever listen to a word i say anyway...even though 9/10 times i was right :p But i think it would be a bad move! Speed/power aint everything (which funnily enough is what you were preaching to me a few weeks back after me buying a quicker car than you :p)

Also that derv bm of his drifts better than drift cars :p

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Also that derv bm of his drifts better than drift cars :p
Be at the EDC next year Andy Cooper Watch your back!!!! Aarons Coming for ya in his BM :p

Well i was looking at performance petrols until i heard they were near £300 to tax for the year, i would really grudge giving that for tax
Its a small price to plus as they say you only live once! Your driving round in the saloon cars now.... what happens when the time comes you need a saloon car your gona be bored driving them. not to mention in the rising fuel costs driving a big performance car daily just wont be practical in the near future! Do it now while your still young! and still semi feasible. Scratch that itch!

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully

A couple of the cars I've had including the one now is closer to the £500 per year to tax but I look at it as less than £40/month for more smile-age.

Although don't get me wrong less tax would be more than welcome but I wouldn't let that cost alone put you off, in the grand scheme of car ownership it's relatively humble and a set of tyres or various other bits and pieces could soon add up to alot more. I would always be keen in shopping for the car first then working out if I can afford the insurance / tax etc taking into account all the other bits that might need fixed / serviced or improved / modified on the car. Usually things like the cost of tax begin to pale in comparison.

(y)

028butlerboy

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy2k TDI
Don't be a Saab b*st*rd, buy a young mans motor ffs. RS/ST focus, R32/GTi golf, Leon FR/Cupra, //M3, Tsport corolla, type R civic/Integra or if it really has to be diesel then go for a van!

mouth0rgan

RMS Member
Drives
Octavia VRS
mk5 golf's do a 170bhp diesel look a bit bring but slap a gti or jetta front bumper on ans it's sweet or an octavia VRS

or spend 4 -4.5k on an S2000 and spend the rest on insuranc, petrol, booze.............

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Don't be a Saab b*st*rd, buy a young mans motor ffs. RS/ST focus, R32/GTi golf, Leon FR/Cupra, //M3, Tsport corolla, type R civic/Integra or if it really has to be diesel then go for a van!
please explain to me, how does the above car look like an old mans car?

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Does your parents not own a saab 9-3?
They have a vector sport but if i was getting one it would be an Aero and i'd be fully tricking it out and mapping it, it would be an animal

028butlerboy

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy2k TDI
please explain to me, how does the above car look like an old mans car?

Don't get me wrong they're nice looking motors and that particular one looks hard as nails. It's the general saab persona, they've always in my eyes been a popular choice among the over 65's. No matter how hard you try to disguise the fact by "deckin er and puttin on a big set of hoops bi" it will still look "old man'ish". But it's your money and you asked for advice and that's what you got. Personally i went from an ST focus to a van so my input is worth zilch :p

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
As i said its still only one of my options at the moment.

I did this photoshop, what do you guys think?

9-3large.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.