Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Well I can see a lot more backhanders happening in our local mot centres from now on..... I know the balmoral centre will be seeing a lot of bling on there staff during the next few months. The £50 back door fees Will be flying around..... And I think it's great...... Fk the system
Any proof of this??

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
This is from the AA website with regard to warning lights on the dash:

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Airbag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light
Steering & suspension

With regard to the bit I have underlined - I was under the impression they will fail if a bulb is lit, suggesting a fault, which is fine. However based on the above if they are to test function of a light how do they do that? They cant just throw a fault code to every make and model of car via OBD port to ensure a light will actually light up, can they? And they cant just drain brake fluid / remove bulbs etc from all cars to see if a warning light flashes!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This is from the AA website with regard to warning lights on the dash:

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Airbag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light
Steering & suspension

With regard to the bit I have underlined - I was under the impression they will fail if a bulb is lit, suggesting a fault, which is fine. However based on the above if they are to test function of a light how do they do that? They cant just throw a fault code to every make and model of car via OBD port to ensure a light will actually light up, can they? And they cant just drain brake fluid / remove bulbs etc from all cars to see if a warning light flashes!!

Brake fluid warning light is usually handbrake light. So they can test the bulb works. They may not test it's operation as a low fluid warning as that would be impractical. But obviously if you arrive at the test with it lit then there is a problem.

And a lot of cars will illuminate all warning lamps on key on as a self test. Same as ABS, EPS etc etc. If they stay on with the car running, again you have a problem.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Well I can see a lot more backhanders happening in our local mot centres from now on..... I know the balmoral centre will be seeing a lot of bling on there staff during the next few months. The £50 back door fees Will be flying around..... And I think it's great...... Fk the system

Book me in for one of these please!! :cool:

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
If it left the factory with a cat and used on or after July 2002 it needs a cat

does this mean pre 2002 petrol/diesel won't need a cat for mot?
confused by your previous posts a bit too, the new rules won't be enforced untill next year then?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
No, advisoy from Jan this year, but enforceable from May (i think that was the month said) this year :grinning:

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
just in his post he says advisory from may and effective from jan, may need this confirmed and the cat thing.

deevtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic 1.8 VTi (m
not sure if this has been covered didnt notice, but when you say about the suspension having inappropriate modification does this mea standard shocks with lowering springs or cut springs?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
1. Hazard Warning lights, switch and tell-tales
2. Headlamp main beam tell-tale
3. High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, washing and levelling system
4. Electrical socket for trailers, including the function of 13 pin sockets
5. Steering, suspension, brake and transmission dust covers/gaiters
6. Steering wheel locking mechanism
7. Power steering and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
8. Brake fluid levels including warning lamps
9. Electronic Parking Brake and Electronic Braking Systems malfunction indicator lamp
10. Electronic stability control system and malfunction indicator lamp
11. Tyre Pressure Monitoring system warning lamp
12. Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS), including airbags, seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters
13. Driver’s seat adjustment mechanism
14. Tow-bar assembly
15. Emission control systems including catalytic converter
16. An increase of brake efficiency (for 2012 cars onwards only)
17. Illumination of speedometers

woot, only 4 things to worry about with the midget :laughing:

Rfg

RMS Regular
The test has also changed for 4x4's as well. had the rover in and it was a completly different test to last year.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What was completely different about it RonnieG? Just got mine done end December there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.