Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RCT

RMS Regular
Threads merged.

Are MOT's really stricter here? Surely the checks are pretty much the same.

Aye from what ive seen. One of my cars I was able to snap the rear brake pipe with my fingers [coroded through] which just had 11 months mot left [english one] back in 2008!! Also on my recent van [6months left] the equaliser valve was siezed solid and the rear brakes were extremely poor and not adjusted up correctly.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye but that's ineffective testers. The test itself covers things like brake distribution and corroded pipes here & there.

The mainland system is more open to corruption thats for sure. People taken to the cleaners to replace things they didn't need to and on the other side bodged repair jobs to get a car another 12mths ticket.

pablo

RMS Moderator
my mate used to complain that it cost more to get his MOT when he didnt actually bring the car down :p

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Ffs people, no need to be getting ratty, it's only a minimal standard test, any half decent vehicle should be able to pass it.

Regarding a question someone asked about a 98 jap integra and HID headlights, it will need a cleaning system (washers), it will not require self levelling as it will have 'sports suspension'.......
If this has been covered, please delete thread:
I am aware of HID Xenons , to run legally, have to have, projector head lights, self level system, and washer jets.
My car only has Projector head lights. Would I be right in saying however, "as long as the beam pattern is correct that it is legal". Reason asking is in work a while back a car (same set up as i have described my own) came in, we called then and were told what i've just quoted. this was a couple years back, so obviously things may have changed. Dont want the hassle of booking a test, failing on stupid "grey areas" and then having to pay for a re-test

cheers

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
They seem to be adding things that affect modifications more than anything. And why does the government want to check if the ESP is working on a car, does that mean they think we are all crap drivers and need electronics to help us to drive our cars? why dont they just devise a harder test? Why do they want to check if the seat mechanism is working, what if it is a fixed bucket?

Ive no issue with cars being made safer but it will affect me, the steering wheel and HID's (I flushed the gammy looking plastic washers off) will fail on the 200.

Because if the ESP was not working correctly.....a malfunction could in theory cause strange handling.

Although IMO if the government were serious about road safety, ALL cars would have ESP/ABS etc fitted. They certainly have little or no negative aspects to them. And most ESP systems can be turned off should the driver desire. But it's safer to have them, than not.
And yes most people are crap drivers. And in an emergency situation, doesnt matter how good or bad you believe you are, these onboard systems WILL help.

And given the seat is a vital part of the car, of course any mechanism is important. Especially as many rely on the seat frame for the seat belt securing points. No sense having a seat belt if the mechanism it's attached to is broken.

A fixed racing seat shouldnt pose a problem as long as it's mounted safely and securely.

Reading a thread about MOT's on PF at the miniute, it seems many components that are on our test, arent on the mainland MOT at all.
Notably a working speedo, secure battery and some others.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Mainland UK test here easy peasy,lol.

As long as the car is decent, and everything working.

But things aren't rigerously tested like back home, but at the same time. You have faith knowing a car test back home should be alot safer.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I am aware of HID Xenons , to run legally, have to have, projector head lights, self level system, and washer jets.
My car only has Projector head lights. Would I be right in saying however, "as long as the beam pattern is correct that it is legal". Reason asking is in work a while back a car (same set up as i have described my own) came in, we called then and were told what i've just quoted. this was a couple years back, so obviously things may have changed. Dont want the hassle of booking a test, failing on stupid "grey areas" and then having to pay for a re-test

cheers
Ive asked this already if you read back. But basically if its like that from factory, its a question that'll be put forward to the ones explaining things to the testers.

Genuine question here, but why do HID's need washers anyway :confounded: Surely if there's dirt or whatever on the headlight, its only going to block the light and not deflect it?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As far as I'm aware the extra light burns the dirt into the lens. So over time the lens gets wrecked. It'd probably make more sense to fail a car on stinking lenses tho...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Ive asked this already if you read back. But basically if its like that from factory, its a question that'll be put forward to the ones explaining things to the testers.

Genuine question here, but why do HID's need washers anyway :confounded: Surely if there's dirt or whatever on the headlight, its only going to block the light and not deflect it?

It doesnt make any sense really. Unless it scatters the beam more.

Because I havent seen a headlamp washer jet yet that actually cleans dirt away ! Headlamp wipers combined with the jet yes, but a jet on it's own barely removes anything. It will appear brighter while the lens is wet, but when it dries, the dirt is still caked on.

Even a bloody power washer cant clean dirt off properly on its own, so what chance does a silly little jet have.

bawheid

RMS Member
Drives
WRX

cheers

It won't be a grey area, it needs headlight washers and self levelling

bawheid

RMS Member
Drives
WRX
It doesnt make any sense really. Unless it scatters the beam more.

Even a bloody power washer cant clean dirt off properly on its own, so what chance does a silly little jet have.

That's the idea of headlight washers, as the dirt on the lens scatters the beam and dazzles other road users

Regarding the 'cleaning capabilities' of a silly little jet have, this is were it gets silly.........it doesn't even have to be high pressure like comes factory fitted on some vehicles, someone could fit a pair of windscreen washers to wash the headlights and that will suffice for mot

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
It won't be a grey area, it needs headlight washers and self levelling
so why are a lot of manufacturer's now including HID's as an option with a car, when they dont include washer jets on the headlamps, does this mean in 4 years after buying a brand spanking new car, you will fail MOT, or pay the garage ridiculous money to get a halogen set fitted

bawheid

RMS Member
Drives
WRX
so why are a lot of manufacturer's now including HID's as an option with a car, when they dont include washer jets on the headlamps, does this mean in 4 years after buying a brand spanking new car, you will fail MOT, or pay the garage ridiculous money to get a halogen set fitted

What vehicle/s are you talking about ? Any vehicles with factory fitted HID headlights I have noticed since we got trained have headlight washers fitted.......

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
That's the idea of headlight washers, as the dirt on the lens scatters the beam and dazzles other road users

Regarding the 'cleaning capabilities' of a silly little jet have, this is were it gets silly.........it doesn't even have to be high pressure like comes factory fitted on some vehicles, someone could fit a pair of windscreen washers to wash the headlights and that will suffice for mot
Im sorry, but i know its such a tiny thing in the grand scale of the other stuff being brought in (most of which i agree with btw), but this is just ridiculous IMO if it goes ahead. Dazzles other road users due to the dirt? Did a cow shat on the lens and its firing out a confined beam like a laser? Sure the strength of the beam will not really be any brighter in a noticable way?! :confounded:

Plus it'd be some serious pain in the hole getting a retro fitting a seperate pump and water line for 2 wee washers on the bumper. I'll await final word on this one, but its a bit of a joke and harsh on those with said motors without washers/wipers. Esp as Stevie mentioned the perfectly good points about these things also...

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
Bit of a pain in the arse about the decat situation....
Some of the others seem a bit pointless! We are going to need to start booking days off work to give them time to expect our cars at this rate

C4L

RMS Regular
I, for one, will be glad to see the back of these aftermarket HID's if they won't pass.

about time as they are my no.1 gripe on the road.

a sure fire way to cheapen the look of any car!

good riddance
that's hardly fair man, its peoples taste that makes them look cheap, if they went and bought a 4300k or 6000k tops they look fine, nice crisp and white like factory hids keeping in mind the price they will never measure up exactly, its the complete cheap chav blue 8000k and above that sickens me and blinds you!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
that's hardly fair man, its peoples taste that makes them look cheap, if they went and bought a 4300k or 6000k tops they look fine, nice crisp and white like factory hids keeping in mind the price they will never measure up exactly, its the complete cheap chav blue 8000k and above that sickens me and blinds you!

I've yet to see a decent set fitted to any car.

they just don't look right in my opinion.

anyway come April 2012 it'll not be an issue :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Maybe ive missed it somewhere, but i cant see anything on the consultation or BBC page, but will there be much different to the motorbike test or pretty much as is?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.