Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

J8MCG

RMS Regular
I got a cancellation today for my off road test. Passed with no minors. (y) So far I've had only had 2 lessons, hopefully get my on road booked soon.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Congrats man, howd you find it then? Any tips/info you can give on it?

Hopefully have mine done before end of July

J8MCG

RMS Regular
Cheers man, as much as I was nervous about it. It was pretty easy. My instructor was there 20minutes early and I took the bike into the industrial estate an went though all 7tests. It only took 15minutes max to do this. Nothing to worry about really (y)
Also, once you have your helmet he is watching you when moving off etc. Make sure and do a lifesaver everytime before you moving off. Thats one thing i was told before i went. :grinning:

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
back when i do one my test the one bit of advice i got was to exaggerate the life saver look so they dont miss it.

mo_yassin

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S13 + E39
I got a cancellation today for my off road test. Passed with no minors. (y) So far I've had only had 2 lessons, hopefully get my on road booked soon.

What's the current waiting time for the on road test? Got my off road booked for 6 July, and wonder if i'll get a date for the on road test before the end of July...

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I had a lesson there on monday again...went well, reckon ill be ready for the next off road test that comes up now in 2weeks.. trying to get this out of the way as quick as possible to see if there is any summer left!!

J8MCG

RMS Regular
What's the current waiting time for the on road test? Got my off road booked for 6 July, and wonder if i'll get a date for the on road test before the end of July...

Was talking to my instructor last night, he said there is 2 spaces left in Cookstown for next Wednesday.. Going by him its not that busy, but with the july holidays it might be harder for bookings.. That would be all 3 things passed in 3 weeks. Though I don't think i've got the time for a couple of lessons before Wednesday..

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Was talking to my instructor last night, he said there is 2 spaces left in Cookstown for next Wednesday.. Going by him its not that busy, but with the july holidays it might be harder for bookings.. That would be all 3 things passed in 3 weeks. Though I don't think i've got the time for a couple of lessons before Wednesday..

Very good going mate.. i need to try and get my red up ASAP too... although i think my bike purchase may be on hold now...

J8MCG

RMS Regular
What bike are you thinking of getting man ?
I had my 3rd lesson last night(got a right soaking also lol) and he told me to get the test booked, tried to get that wednesday slot buts its gone. Next date in cookstown here is 25th july ffs. Hopefully get another cancellation.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Cant believe I forgot the lifesaver in my U-turn today. Instant fail! Had a 100% clean sheet otherwise. Gutted.
Have to wait till 20th July for a retest now, thats the worst part. If anyone here needs to cancel theres for any reason, please let me know.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Balls, thats a sickner for something so simple :worried: Was this your off road i presume? Handy enough is it? Ive mine on Monday :worried:

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Balls, thats a sickner for something so simple :worried: Was this your off road i presume? Handy enough is it? Ive mine on Monday :worried:

Its really easy mate, infact so easy that im still in disbelief that I fluffed it.
The guy infront of me wasnt a whole lot of use, I was watching him wobble and drag the clutch etc, and he still passed.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Ah good, theres hope for me yet then lol :p

Well least its a simple thing you know will stick in your head for next time for fear of doing it again! You not even check over your shoulder in the car you non hazard awarefool you? :p

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
The guy infront of me wasnt a whole lot of use, I was watching him wobble and drag the clutch etc, and he still passed.
Wobble and drag the clutch on the road, not much is going to happen. Forget to do a lifesaver during a U turn, you could get a mouthful of car bonnet/windscreen. Thats their logic anyway :p

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Unlucky man, hope you get it next time!

Howd the hazard swerve go? And how many figure of 8 laps did ya do?

therock

RMS Regular
The figure of 8 laps are a pain in the balls. I think I had to do four in total, and it's basically wobbling your way around trying not to put the foot down. Glad I don't have to do it again, but at least you know what's required now - if there is a bright side of it

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Wobble and drag the clutch on the road, not much is going to happen. Forget to do a lifesaver during a U turn, you could get a mouthful of car bonnet/windscreen. Thats their logic anyway :p

Aye I know, I just mean the standard of riding doesnt have to be that good as long as you do whats expected.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Cant believe I forgot the lifesaver in my U-turn today. Instant fail! Had a 100% clean sheet otherwise. Gutted.
Have to wait till 20th July for a retest now, thats the worst part. If anyone here needs to cancel theres for any reason, please let me know.

Thats a sickner.. in real life youd look out of common sense but the test is so disconnected sometimes its hard to see the real life side of things.

The figure of 8 is a fist in the air once you nail it :laughing:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Howd the hazard swerve go? And how many figure of 8 laps did ya do?
Thankfully you get 2 goes at the swerve, as you have to hit 50km/h. I hit 48 first time and then 2nd time i just pinned it like VTEC had just kicked in, keeping it flat lit till started swerving round the middle cone then hard on the brakes! Even the guy said i was a bit enthusiastic about it and laughed lol. Was just worried bout not hitting the speed, but controlled the whole way through.

I do understand what people mean by how it is easy to forget to do simple checks as you do feel detached up there, but it is tough titty in some ways and its always good habit to check no-matter what and what vehicle you're in IMO.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
I think they should have some off road training that would truly be beneficial to riders.

My first trackday taught me more in a day about my bike than a year of pootling about and runs around the country.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Manual Handling - Stands, Walking with bike etc
U-Turn
Riding at Walking Pace
Slalom/Figure of 8
Emergency Stop
Hazard Avoidance Swerve

Do they happen in any particular order lads?

Jason

RMS Regular
Doesnt sound too bad but can imagine its as bad as the car test, have to be seen checking blind spots and a load of head moving?