Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

AKA STEVIE

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic TypeS CBR6
Adelaide Insurance on Boucher Road was the cheapest place i could find for my first year. Have got cheaper quotes over the years then i just take the quoted price back to Adelaide and they usually beat it by £10 or they will match it. Annoying you have to do that but i guess its how they make money come renewal time.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Restricted bike is just less power, get your test done in England like I did. Direct Access means you dont need a restrictor. Mind you I dont know anyone that put one in after passing.
Just have heard before that it's meant to be a strain on the engine unsure if that's the truth or not though. You pick up a bike yet mate ?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Old get :p

howd you get on?
Young at heart though ;)

Failed the multiple choice by a couple of marks which i have to say im genuinely surprised at :worried: There was only a couple of odd questions which i thought mighta got me, but overall i shoulda had it. Passed the hazard perception, which is goddamn weird i have to say :confounded:

Booked straight away for this Tues again lol *sighs*

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Ive got my manoevers test booked for end of the month. Pain in the arse, I should have had this done long ago.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Got my theory (47/50) and hazards (70/75 :cool:) passed yesterday thank frig! :laughing:

Just have to get finger out for the rest now :grinning:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Passed my theory and Hazard Perception this morning too :grinning:

My mother has warned me and told me to find somewhere else to live already lol

But I'm on the look out now for an '03 ZX636 :grinning:

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Ive my theory coming up also. First lessons this Saturday and Monday.

Ill be goin for an SV650S fully faired when i pass, wanna build up my experience on somethin reasonably forgiving lol

:laughing:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Sv would tempt me also, but I'd ideally like a sports bike.. Been looking at gsxr600, zx6r and r6's.. But realistically I need to get some insurance quotes! The SVs sound great with the v-twin.. Where have you guys been looking? Gumtree? Biketrader? Usedcarsni?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Passed my theory and Hazard Perception this morning too :grinning:

My mother has warned me and told me to find somewhere else to live already lol

But I'm on the look out now for an '03 ZX636 :grinning:

Good man Iain that happened me too, bought an R1 for first bike but thankfully didnt even pick it up!

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Sv would tempt me also, but I'd ideally like a sports bike.. Been looking at gsxr600, zx6r and r6's.. But realistically I need to get some insurance quotes! The SVs sound great with the v-twin.. Where have you guys been looking? Gumtree? Biketrader? Usedcarsni?
Seen one of these the other day and thought it looked quite nice! Know nothing about bikes though so may be complete dung!

http://www.usedcarsni.com/72484295

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204

The SV is pretty much a sport bike, if you were to consider one, it would have to be the facelifted S model with full fairings:

SV650-SPORT.jpg

SV650%20Sport(2).jpg

sv650s13ki.jpg

Hard to beat the sound of a V Twin, especially with an aftermarket exhaust!

If i do get one, ill be putting on the Sharkskinz bodywork

(y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Those sv's look tastey, have you ridden one? Just realising how limited the number of bike shops around Derry are! :worried:

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Havent rode one yet man but from scouring the net they seem to be a brilliant first bike, sporty as well as comfy with plenty of go. Its a V Twin so plenty of torque low down the revs. Especially important is the fact it responds better to restriction than a 4 banger, and is only really noticable at higher speeds as it struggles to get past 120mph lol

Theres a good amount of forums out there dedicated to them so plenty of support and resources out there. Love the Sharkskinz bodywork for it, comes in a street version also with headlight cut outs and looks the same as the racing version:

y_images_Motorcycle%20Racing_0.jpg

Once i get the confidence and experience built up on that ill move on to something more extreme lol

Jackotdi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
I really cant recommend a Z750 more as a first bike (an 08 model),iv only had mine on the road for about 2 and abit weeks and it is so nice to ride and handle with plenty plenty power to do me,has 106bhp but feels so much more and the low down torque makes it really nice in traffic etcc... as you dont need to rev it to move at all! Nice riding position to,iv spent hours on it and got off feeling just as i got on :grinning:

SVs are nice and would need to be the S version but i just couldnt warm to the sound of it...to me a big bike needs to sound like high revving animal

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
...to me a big bike needs to sound like high revving animal

For me, Ill take a wounded snarling tiger over a bunch of pissed off wasps Hehe!

With the amount of aftermarket exhausts out there you can pretty much get any sound you want anyways

:grinning: