Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
After passing my off road test a month ago, i had to wait until yesterday for my on road test.. Passed with 2 minors.
Still thinking of a Ktm Duke, Triumph street or a Bandit..

Great news man, congrats. Give us the run down on how it went, what we can expect, any tips etc

Out of those 3 id go for a Street Triple, fantastic lookin bike...!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Good news J8 (y) Im the same, have about a month wait inbetween tests. My on road is late next week :scream::worried: So any tips/guidance appreciated (y)

Did you do yours in Belfast at all?

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
How long is it taking to get an off road test date? is it better to book straight after theory? and can you use your own bike for it?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It doesnt let you book until you have you're theory i found :confounded: Then the date for off road for me was about 3 weeks i think. Its busy at this time of year naturally, same for people doing car tests.

Yeah you can use your own bike and just turn up yourself :grinning:

J8MCG

RMS Regular
KTM are the dogs balls.

Probably better to start with something a bit easier to ride though, they are a bit batsh*t mental.

Heard a few people say this.. real wheelie machine..

Good news J8 (y) Im the same, have about a month wait inbetween tests. My on road is late next week :scream::worried: So any tips/guidance appreciated (y)
Did you do yours in Belfast at all?
Great news man, congrats. Give us the run down on how it went, what we can expect, any tips etc
Out of those 3 id go for a Street Triple, fantastic lookin bike...!

Cheers guys,
I was told to really impress in the 1st 10minutes, if you do that the test will be short & sweet. Thankfully mine lasted around 30-35minutes. They'll ask you some safety questions about carrying a passenger etc, then where to check for oil, brake fluid and how to check if your horn works! lol..
I done my test local here in cookstown.
I got 2 lessons the week before my test and I got the instructor to do 1hr tests on me. Not to tell me how I'm doing until it was over. Over the 2 of them i only had 1 minor in each test. So that left my confidence high before the test. Once you're nailing your lessons it will be no bother to you on the day! Just the usual to keep calm an not get too nervous! I was in the wrong position on the way into a mini roundabout which i got my minors for on the day.

J8MCG

RMS Regular
Yeah was real simple. Though with me knowing the town real well i knew where I was going to as soon as I seen the card.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Passed the theory today, think I went a bit OTT on the revision, ended up with 50 out of 50, an knew a lot of answers before I had read the question LOL

Going to book the manouvers test tomorrow and hopefully get some lessons sorted.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Still on 2 minds what to buy, Think the likes of that Triumph Street triple might be too much for my 1st bike. For the bikers on here what do you think of a Kawasaki ER6F ? http://www.nicarfinder.co.uk/vehicle.php?v=FD129-201023360613387&s=25570234&fp=1&i=4&c=6

Have heard many times the ER6 is a very good starter bike. I would agree with ya that a Street Triple may be a bit much to start off with. 107bhp to the rear isnt it? But then again ive read countless reports of people starting off with full blown 1000cc superbikes and doin alright! I suppose its a risk you take isn't it.

Believe me, I would love an R6 or a Gixxer but keep tellin myself to start off with somethin less highly strung. SV650 is top of my list at the min or maybe an early to mid 90's CBR 600 F2 or F3 which are known as quite a forgiving bike compared to modern 600's, plus they are well cheap and reliable as fook.

But i guess it all boils down to how mature a rider you are and also how aggressive you are with your right hand lol

therock

RMS Regular
I'd say I'm quite aggressive with my right hand, it's hard not to be really if the road is open.

My first bike is the zx6r, which to some would be a highly strung bike and way too much. But I've found it grand to be honest. Only iffy moments were when I first got on it to drive out of the dealership looking like a ****. Since then I've learned a hell of a lot in 6 months or so.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
DSC_0064.jpg

What year is yours rock?

Id love to get my hands on the 05+ model with the undertail pipe...mmmmm!

Think the one i posted above was Ben_P's old bike, fantastic lookin machine...

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Lovely looking bike that!

Does the price of bikes vary much between the seasons? Ie. Should I now wait until winter, will they be much cheaper as they will be harder to sell around December time? Thinking of going for an 08 CBR600RR as my first bike, am I wise :p

Booked my manouveres test today, got a date for August 13th in Ballymena. Two hour lesson tomorrow to get things ironed out.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Only problem with an 08 is that if (read - when*) you drop it then it might be bloody expensive to source new fairings.

Does vary a couple of hundred and whats available etc..

I deffo wouldnt talk you out of it, first bike was a 4stroke 125 then jumped to a 636... SO glad I didnt buy an sv or bandit etc.. :grinning: (Ive become a track whore.. its addictive!)

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
You got a bike, DaddyC? or plan to get one in the short term?
Have to get a ride out sorted sometime.
Not yet mate, dunno where money is going at the min. Likelyhood is it wont be till next year before i get one if i save well (thinking a Hornet or similar for insurance and as id prefer commuter style to not fook my back lol) :worried: Would like to get a bike around winter time when cheaper to buy in 'pre-season', but my shed not long enough to keep one in probably :worried:

I dare say there'll be a few ones get a biking day out sorted next year (y) I fear same thing as what you said about riding out of showroom however, when going for a test ride being so nervous of a bigger bike and making a (bigger) tool of myself lol.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Just be cool and chillax. Rode my 636 home having never had a bike with more than 11bhp.. lol (y)

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Day out biking next year sounds good, hopefully us learners will have the tests and a bike sorted by then

(y)

J8MCG

RMS Regular
Any of you guys from Kilkeel area ? Trying to get hold of a guy selling a street triple r ? Anyone able to help me :laughing: