Best 'Fast Road' Brake Pads?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
So just going the topic again looks like DS 2500s for the win (y):cool:
And EBC stuff is Crap unless your being sold the stuff on recommendation from Ian whats his face...
due to him gettin a good mark on them I would say.... lol.

Having run EBC stuff in the past, I would sooner give the MDF chipboard ones a go :relieved::party:

You have not used the new EBC so therefore you cannot comment. Go and look on Scoobynet or MLR to find many people who have used them, some back to back with the likes of DS2500 and I have not heard one bad word said about them. I have absolutely nothing to gain from mentioning the EBC pads, I was just informing the original poster that not all EBC pads are bad as you and others are saying.

fasteddie

RMS Regular
You have not used the new EBC so therefore you cannot comment.

( A ) I never said I had

Go and look on Scoobynet or MLR to find many people who have used them.

( A ) Why would I want to, Happy with DS2500 (y)

some back to back with the likes of DS2500 and I have not heard one bad word said about them.

( A ) Means nothing to me :confounded:

I have absolutely nothing to gain from mentioning the EBC pads,

( A ) Never said "you" had.

I was just informing the original poster that not all EBC pads are bad as you and others are saying.

( A ) And you have (y)

Hope this answers the above :grinning:

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Ferodo DS2500 and Mintex 1144 are all you need to look at. Price them and go with whats cheaper for your application (y)

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Thread revival :grinning:

I have tried a lot of different pads over the years, went through a lot in the Evo, the best i found my a million miles were CarboTech XP8's...I ruined many a set of named pads on track days in that car but the carbotechs took serious abuse in their stride. The RS4 will be getting them when it needs new pads.

AIRFORCE1 got me onto them, i remember when he changed off his brembo pads on the Evo X onto XP8's the difference was truly astonishing. I drove it before and after you would swear you were throwing a land anchor out the window when you hit the brakes...

Bronk

RMS Regular

I have tried a lot of different pads over the years, went through a lot in the Evo, the best i found my a million miles were CarboTech XP8's...I ruined many a set of named pads on track days in that car but the carbotechs took serious abuse in their stride. The RS4 will be getting them when it needs new pads.

AIRFORCE1 got me onto them, i remember when he changed off his brembo pads on the Evo X onto XP8's the difference was truly astonishing. I drove it before and after you would swear you were throwing a land anchor out the window when you hit the brakes...

have to agree phil.. i had them on my old m3.. and they were awesome

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Ferodo DS2500 and Mintex 1144 are all you need to look at. Price them and go with whats cheaper for your application (y)

2nd'd best about.. unless its a seriously heavy Barge!

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
DS2500s are my choice, hated the Mintex 1144s and 1155s I tried previously.

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
Holy thread revival.

I ended up going for tarox strada, great pad, no complaints whatsoever.

On another note, a mate got EBC Yellowstuffs for his R32. Absolutely atrocious, actually hard to believe they have gotten away with selling such crap for so long.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
I had black diamond predators on the 205 gti and thought they were spot on and well priced, also kept the brake dust well low on the white wheels

scub

Banned

what this man said...^^^^^
i had ds2500's on the evo and changed to carbotech xp8's and they make the ds2500's feel like 2 lumps of floorboard -
absolute night and day .
the brakes are now ridiculously good and thats just on stock evo discs .
best on the market ( but obv. not so cheap - and the down side is if you've white wheels you'll never have them clean again )
but well worth it for ultimate stopping power !!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
On another note, a mate got EBC Yellowstuffs for his R32. Absolutely atrocious, actually hard to believe they have gotten away with selling such crap for so long.

Does he do a lot of hard track use, and did he buy matching discs ?

If not, is it any wonder they didnt work. EBC certainly arent the best, but Ive seen people before say they are totally rubbish, and it was entirely their own fault for choosing totally inappropriate pads for their needs.

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
another vote for ferodos i use them on mine with mtec grooved discs

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
Does he do a lot of hard track use, and did he buy matching discs ?

If not, is it any wonder they didnt work. EBC certainly arent the best, but Ive seen people before say they are totally rubbish, and it was entirely their own fault for choosing totally inappropriate pads for their needs.

OEM discs (334mm, twin pot OEM caliper) with upgraded fluid and braided lines. All fast road driving, but always warmed up properly etc before any abuse, and they're still dung. Fade within the first couple of uses. I've had experience with a few different fast road/track pads and have never came across pads that fade so quickly. He had OEM pads before that that put up with considerably more abuse.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Try the xp8's next time your are changing... 10 times better... Don't think that old ford wud go fast enough to warrant them :p :p

It doesn't move enough to warrant them lol. Anywhere you'd recommend to buy the xp8's?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
If they don't have them on the shelf they will make you a set...I actually cant wait to put them onto my car..

Good stuff :grinning:

They'd better be great or I'm not trusting you jap men ever again :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
OEM discs (334mm, twin pot OEM caliper) with upgraded fluid and braided lines. All fast road driving, but always warmed up properly etc before any abuse, and they're still dung. Fade within the first couple of uses. I've had experience with a few different fast road/track pads and have never came across pads that fade so quickly. He had OEM pads before that that put up with considerably more abuse.

In otherwords he chose the wrong pads for his application. Yellow's are sold as full race use, and for uprated discs. That is not fast road driving, or using standard discs.
It probably wasnt fade, more likely they were nowhere near warm enough.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.