Best 'Fast Road' Brake Pads?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PJS

RMS Regular
Obviously tyres are a big part, the reason I mentioned the lightness mainly is because there arent that many other cars as light as Eddies with similar brake set ups, hence the main reason he has good brakes. It wotn jutfiy their expense no, your right, but I never said that. It will however stop you quicker. Hence the reason for mentioning that.

My point was that you're giving big brakes equal footing with the weight of the car in your comment, which is only accurate when standard brakes (discs & pads) have faded from heat soak.
BBK's will dissipate the heat more quickly, thereby reducing the likelihood of brake fade, but don't make braking distances shorter in and of themselves in normal conditions.

A car's weight will affect braking distance through less mass to retard/carrying less momentum - that much is a given.
To that you can include wheel mass as well, and then you're into suspension stiffness.

Anyway, as you said, we've taken a bit of a detour, but interesting to hear EBC have started putting some focus on genuine performance.

PJS

RMS Regular
Performance Friction - that's the ones I couldn't remember earlier.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
So he has just described DS2500's

No that was his description of the EBC Bluestuff NDX, have a look at scoobynet and the lancer register for many many reviews of the new EBC pads, none of which have been bad.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
My point was that you're giving big brakes equal footing with the weight of the car in your comment, which is only accurate when standard brakes (discs & pads) have faded from heat soak.
BBK's will dissipate the heat more quickly, thereby reducing the likelihood of brake fade, but don't make braking distances shorter in and of themselves in normal conditions.

A car's weight will affect braking distance through less mass to retard/carrying less momentum - that much is a given.
To that you can include wheel mass as well, and then you're into suspension stiffness.

Anyway, as you said, we've taken a bit of a detour, but interesting to hear EBC have started putting some focus on genuine performance.

I didnt give them equal footing, mentioning them in the same sentence does not mean I think they are equal. Most of the things you have mentioned are true, you and I both know that, along with I would say at least 80% of the forum. However you state that big brake kits dont make stopping distances any shorter, thats wrong. A big brake kit to me is one which uses larger discs and pads, they may have more pots as well. This larger braking surface will of course slow the car down faster. This is because there is more friction generated, more energy dissipated and therefore stopping quicker. My experience is mainly in Subarus so will use that as an example. Set a Subaru with the standard 4 pot brakes (classic shape) alongside the same car (same tyres, suspension etc etc) with the Brembo brakes which uses a bigger disc and pad but are also 4 pot brakes and I can assure you the one with Brembos fitted will stop before the car with the standard 4 pots.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wee tip
Change your brake fluid also.

ATE Super racing blue fluid ;)(y)

I always found a huge improvement doing this (unless friction part of brakes are knackered). Changing fluid, or even better upgrading to dot5 if possible makes a massive difference.

fasteddie

RMS Regular
I always found a huge improvement doing this (unless friction part of brakes are knackered). Changing fluid, or even better upgrading to dot5 if possible makes a massive difference.

ATE Super racing blue fluid is as good if not better than dot 5 ;)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Is it actually blue? If so not only does it work well but it looks cool too :p

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
I'm using Ferodo DS Performance pads in the 205. They sit just below the DS 2500's in their range.

Good pads. No complaints at all (y)

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
No that was his description of the EBC Bluestuff NDX, have a look at scoobynet and the lancer register for many many reviews of the new EBC pads, none of which have been bad.

My point was he described DS2500's to a T whilst describing the Pads he obviously wants to sell.

For the race cars we ran DS3000's due to the prolonged use, but for track days, testing, etc DS2500's ruled the roost. We also used the 2500's on sprints as they got up to temp on the first corner where the 3000's would have needed a bit more.

I am not denying the NDX stuff is good, I have not tried it, but I am certainly not going to take the word of a salesman when it comes to my decisions on components that could save my life or end it just as quickly.

As such, I will stick with what I know and love and thats the DS2500's.

Fluid really isnt going to make much of a difference, the difference you ae experiencing is the fact you have now got rid of all the old sh*te in the system which may have been causing slight restrictions and of course fresh fluid will provide a more consistent pedal, as you are probably replacing fluid that was a few years old and really for me 3 years is the longest any fluid should remain in any part of the car as a rule of thumb. As far as braking effort goes one fluid is pretty much the same as the other. When prolonged braking is required, obviously the better spec's come in to play.

In the DC5's we ran AP Dot 5 shizzle without any complaints, but in the Midgets we run AP Dot 4, we have yet to over cook it in competition, so the likely hood of doing so on track days and road use is slim to none unless you really cant drive with any fluidity.

Our reason behind using Dot4 is that should we encounter a problem whilst on a rally or event, Dot3 and Dot4 can be got in any fuel station and means one less item to carry in the boot.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
My point was he described DS2500's to a T whilst describing the Pads he obviously wants to sell.

For the race cars we ran DS3000's due to the prolonged use, but for track days, testing, etc DS2500's ruled the roost. We also used the 2500's on sprints as they got up to temp on the first corner where the 3000's would have needed a bit more.

I am not denying the NDX stuff is good, I have not tried it, but I am certainly not going to take the word of a salesman when it comes to my decisions on components that could save my life or end it just as quickly.

As such, I will stick with what I know and love and thats the DS2500's.

Fluid really isnt going to make much of a difference, the difference you ae experiencing is the fact you have now got rid of all the old sh*te in the system which may have been causing slight restrictions and of course fresh fluid will provide a more consistent pedal, as you are probably replacing fluid that was a few years old and really for me 3 years is the longest any fluid should remain in any part of the car as a rule of thumb. As far as braking effort goes one fluid is pretty much the same as the other. When prolonged braking is required, obviously the better spec's come in to play.

In the DC5's we ran AP Dot 5 shizzle without any complaints, but in the Midgets we run AP Dot 4, we have yet to over cook it in competition, so the likely hood of doing so on track days and road use is slim to none unless you really cant drive with any fluidity.

Our reason behind using Dot4 is that should we encounter a problem whilst on a rally or event, Dot3 and Dot4 can be got in any fuel station and means one less item to carry in the boot.

Salesman Bob may be but Ian Godney of Godspeed also uses these in his own car. Also you need only look at the likes of Scoobynet and MLR to see many unbiased reviews from many many people who have bought them to see they are as good as they claim. I know the DS2500 is good but by all accounts the new EBC is better, hence the reason I mentioned it in this thread. Everybody was slating EBC and I thought I would mention the new compound they have has dramatically improved and now seems one of the leading fast road pads out there.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Running these up front based on recommendation from Ian Godney of Godspeed who knows a thing or two about brakes. I bought my APs second hand and they needed new discs so bought these as I didn't want to bed the new discs in with old pads and I didn't have a spare £250 for Padgid RS29s. Got 2 sets of DS2500s in the shed but will stick with the NDX. Seem great on the road (even from cold) but haven't done a track day yet.

69fc8528.jpg

And Performance Friction in the rear. The rear calipers will be changed for AP 4 pots soon to match the fronts. The kit comes standard with DS 2500s

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
It's ok lads, got sorted.

'Super High Performance' ones off eBay. Take a couple of weeks to post from China, but they were 20 quid, I'm sure theyll be just as good.

You're all silly with your 100 quid pads.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
^^ oh dear, if thats true, you may aswell use some MDF chipboard as chinese brake pads... :confounded:

Endless SSS, followed by ProjectMu, and Ferodo ds2500 as mentioned, the best choices (y)

fasteddie

RMS Regular
So just going the topic again looks like DS 2500s for the win (y):cool:
And EBC stuff is Crap unless your being sold the stuff on recommendation from Ian whats his face...
due to him gettin a good mark on them I would say.... lol.

Having run EBC stuff in the past, I would sooner give the MDF chipboard ones a go :relieved::party:

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
^^ oh dear, if thats true, you may aswell use some MDF chipboard as chinese brake pads... :confounded:

Endless SSS, followed by ProjectMu, and Ferodo ds2500 as mentioned, the best choices (y)

Pfft, I got them on the same site I got my electronic supercharger.

Pure quality products.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nice one Conor. All you need now is an electric BOV and you'll be ready for anything

ewok

RMS Regular
I have ebc upfront and performance friction rear in m3 in the jeeps brembos I have ebc upfront and Tufty specials in the rear ferodo I think and both yokes are through the windscreen braking .....

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
Nice one Conor. All you need now is an electric BOV and you'll be ready for anything

Well I have a turbo and a supercharger, so I could get an actual BOV but I think the electric BOVs combined with the electronic supercharger give 50 odd brake.

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
They're universal I believe eddy. Which means that instead of being car specific like those amateurs at garett and KKK, the one unit fits all.

Universal fitment means universally brilliant.

fasteddie

RMS Regular
They're universal I believe eddy. Which means that instead of being car specific like those amateurs at garett and KKK, the one unit fits all.

Universal fitment means universally brilliant.

Thanks mate (y)
Must look into these.
Twin electronic supercharger
set up even would be the way forward
leek a two stage thing :p
I could be fast again and with ma MDF pads nothing will stop me :cool:

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
i use EBC pads on both the NSX and my bikes ... never had any bother and i scalped the car round the ring 10 times too and pads are fine.

DS2500's warped my discs on the evo ... NEVER again!

performance friction is also a decent pad

fasteddie

RMS Regular
i use EBC pads on both the NSX and my bikes ... never had any bother and i scalped the car round the ring 10 times too and pads are fine.

DS2500's warped my discs on the evo ... NEVER again!

performance friction is also a decent pad

Sorry mate, but we have moved onto
electric BOVs and electronic superchargers etc ;)

Ps The ring is not hard on brakes ;)
Been there done that (y)
If you can drive you would get away with good quality MDF ones :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.