whats a metro plate?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scub

Banned
i know bugger all about legal/illegal fonts but cant see a thing wrong with any of the plates shown:oops:
what a silly thing to argue about !
and if some police camera cant discern the letters of them , then its designer needs a slap!

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
@rockvale: yea, i use a font called 'city' which is the same, usually do them in 57mm and and 50mm, but always tell people about the legalitys for it. as i dont no about u, but a lot of people think 'metro' is legal?

@brendy: to be honest i think a personal plate sets a car off but each to their own, but i no wot ya mean about playing with numbers :confounded:

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
@ minimad I too tell the TRUTH about the legalities of plates and its amazing as you say how many think metro is legal. How often has someone said to you "I want them fancy and legal" LOL. no such thing im afraid LOL

Conor

RMS Regular
i got through MOT with this plate,the front plate is the same!
attachment.php

or maybe it isnt the MOTers duty to pull someone up on plates??^o)

Attachments

• civic 053 (Medium).jpg
    civic 053 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 408

rybo

RMS Regular
Rybo, would you mind posting details or a link to the exact rules? Just interested to know.

Some cars, like an Elise, just cannot take an "ordinary" size plate at the front. And every single TVR I have ever seen has a smaller than normal front plate.

Other than that, what kind of sad person cares what a number plate looks like? :p

Svensktoppen, you're posts are usually a bit more educated than this one!

Have a wee think about what a number plate is actually there for and why it needs to be readable - by the human eye and by camera.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Svensktoppen, you're posts are usually a bit more educated than this one!

Have a wee think about what a number plate is actually there for and why it needs to be readable - by the human eye and by camera.

THAT, is a typical response from a copper.....don't you think? A bit patronising mate.....

I always thought you, Brocks and Avo were different from the norm.

Conor

RMS Regular
lol @ paccers :p apparently so!havent seen either of them prats (jack-civic and big-m) since thank fook!

dunno,prob all who you get on the day,as with anything!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
why,because they are on the forum?:confounded:

when it comes to rolling in the 30 notes to fulfill their quota,their all th same mate.(n)

Nah, I disagree mate.....I've met Avo and Brocks and they're both really good lads....none of the 'I'm better than you' carry on that some cops seem to suffer from.

I've never met Rybo, and to be honest I've always found him pretty sound on here....but the above comment is what we all expect to hear from a copper. I even have friends in the police and they're the same.....can be a nightmare at times!! :p

rybo

RMS Regular
Whatever you think conor. If I was happy lashing out tickets do you not think I'd be better off saying nothing and just lie in wait for the next victim?

Maybe none of you see that I'm here to try & save you the bother, hassle & expense of getting a ticket for these offences.

Surely its obvious why your car has to have a number plate?
And why it must be readable.

If you look back n previous posts you'll see I've spent a lot of time explaining why non-standard plates are illegal & why we are enforcing them.

Conor

RMS Regular
Nah, I disagree mate.....I've met Avo and Brocks and they're both really good lads....none of the 'I'm better than you' carry on that some cops seem to suffer from.

I've never met Rybo, and to be honest I've always found him pretty sound on here....but the above comment is what we all expect to hear from a copper. I even have friends in the police and they're the same.....can be a nightmare at times!! :p

im sure they are mate,but if avo or brocks didnt know you,and they had reason to prosecute you,you might see the 'copper' side then!

dont get me wrong,ive had a couple of minor run-ins (no. plates etc) with a couple of really civil,understanding cops,but when you get the ones that love having that power over you,they are the biggest cnuts.(n)

jimcupra

RMS Regular
mine were done by the dealer i measured them there just to see 75mm oops :oops: :oops:
a friend of mine is in traffic and when i got the mini he said nice car pity im not at work your plates are illegal i would have issued you a ticket and this is a friend of mine :p :p suppose though they are only doing a job and years ago i would have had a different attitude now im old and maybe a bit wiser (maybe not) save the £30 standard plates.

Conor

RMS Regular
Whatever you think conor. If I was happy lashing out tickets do you not think I'd be better off saying nothing and just lie in wait for the next victim?

thats exactly how i got three points mate.they were hiding behind a hedge for gods sake.i was in the wrong,but the way they went about it wasnt speed prevention,as is so often advertised.i completely understand where your coming from,but some of the time it really is a case where cops lie in wait!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
how did you get through the MOT Conor?

The laws on fonts is different for plates made before September 2001. My plates don't confirm to the current acceptable font but as my car is march 2001 they are legal

rybo

RMS Regular
Well the way I look at it is this - I do my best trying to educate folk in what we do as traffic officers & explain the reasons for it.

Some people take it on board, others don't. Some people use my presence here to manifest their loathing for any form of authority or policing, or political views by sniping at anything I say.

For the few who take the time to listen, I'm sure I've saved someone a few pounds and a few points & a clean record. That's what its all about.

And yes, my job is law enforcement. That's what i'm paid to do & I'll do it. But I've helped a brave few folk along the way. I'd rather not be hammering people who genuinely don't know the law, but those who are well aware and stick 2 fingers up at it, I've no problem dealing with them.

rybo

RMS Regular
The laws on fonts is different for plates made before September 2001. My plates don't confirm to the current acceptable font but as my car is march 2001 they are legal

Nice try! Look at page 2 of the DVLA link...

Maxwell

Banned
they brought in the law, that basically the only legal plate is an "mot standard" plate. which has ghey fonting.

metro styling really pulls a better look on a car, its still readable and you can still get mot height.

but suppose its the governments way of making us dig into our pockets. though its partially "our" fault in how this law came about. Mainly because "back in the day" people were stick plates on with ridiculous and unreadable font with tiny lettering and had stupid pictureque in the backround.

so in a way you cant totally blame them, for clamping down on plates....but at least metro styling is the next most "readable" plates you can buy

rybo

RMS Regular
I'm sorry but the metro styling is not legal & you are likely to get a ticket for it.

There is only one legal standard, there is no 'almost' legal. You may not like it, it may not suit your car, but thats where we stand on it.

There are plenty of other things you can change/modify quite legally. Number plates you can't.

The law (about 79-89mm high letters/digits) has been in force for 35 years, a long time before most of the membership here were born. Traffic Branch were enforcing them a long time before I got behind the wheel of a car, and I'm no youngster.

The warnings are there, if you get hit with a fine you can't say you didn't know.

2002 Tii

Banned
Rybo you are fighting a losing battle here it seems.

Let them get on with it. Go straight to Jail, do not pass Go and do not collect £30. (n)

Tim(e)

Drives
599/1998/2LTurbo
I appreciate the rules and as Rybo states the number plate is there to be read and whilst there are some drastically unreadable silly fonts floating about out there, however with the likes of Metro and slightly smaller versions of standard unless your blind the plates are generally still as readable as standard.....all a bit petty in my opinion however I still stick to standard for reasons highlighted by Rybo.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.