What Weight Can Your Car Tow? - Chart Inside...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
My Disco weighs 2.6T and can legally tow 3.5T which gives a train weight of 6.1T, I have B+E licence, am I legal or not?
In fact if you got your b&e before jan this year then you can have 3500mam for both car and trailer meaning a mam of rig at 7000kg thats a lot of weight

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I don't understand it at all. It's confusing as hell. All I know is that my boat weighs less than 750kg combined with the trailer so I just plough on. And Coog said it was fine in another thread :p

Although with all this restriction on weight I'd of thought length would make a difference too. When towing the boat there is an extra 23ft or so hanging off the back of the car!!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Likely not as b&e is up to 3.5t all in is it not?
No, b+e means you can tow up to a maximum of 3500kgs or the max of your car, whichever is less.

For the disco, the max allowed trailer weight with b+e will be 3500kgs.

Without b+e, max trailer is 750kgs

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
No, b+e means you can tow up to a maximum of 3500kgs or the max of your car, whichever is less.

For the disco, the max allowed trailer weight with b+e will be 3500kgs.

Without b+e, max trailer is 750kgs

No it's 900kg braked. That gives you a train weight of 3500 which is allowed on a b licence.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
No it's 900kg braked. That gives you a train weight of 3500 which is allowed on a b licence.

I thought it was the lesser of 750kg trailer or 3500 total train weight?

Edit. I'm wrong, it's mam 3500kgs so 900kg trailer as you said.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
No if the Disco weights 2600 you can tow 900 giving you 3500. Same as if you car is 2000 you can tow 1500 as long as the car is capable all on a b licence.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
got pulled by garda doing 110kph on motorway 120kph , anybody know what trailer towing speed is? north and south. he said if he was near weighbridge he would weigh me. lucky he didnt, id been around 7ton gross!

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Speed limits for cars towing caravans or trailers.

• 30mph limit applies on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise.
  • 50mph applies on single carriageways unless signs show otherwise.
  • 60mph applies on dual carriageways and motorways.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
cheers nicky , at least speed limits nice and clear. garda officer told me im only allowed to tow same speed as hgv's. towing
really is a minefield.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
As its only approx 4mph of a difference between a HGV and a small vehicle with a trailer, there's a high possibility that he was correct as far as Southern road legislations go. I've never looked into it though as I wouldn't feel the need to be going much faster than that anyway, especially with a tri-axle, horse box or transporter etc. on tow..

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
As its only approx 4mph of a difference between a HGV and a small vehicle with a trailer, there's a high possibility that he was correct as far as Southern road legislations go. I've never looked into it though as I wouldn't feel the need to be going much faster than that anyway, especially with a tri-axle, horse box or transporter etc. on tow..

id new dale kane triaxle on, it was a dream at 110 cruise control , seat reclined legs out straight , deffo the way to haul lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Until you have to stop for a people carrier loaded with a full family... See how good 110 and stretched out legs feels then...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
cheers nicky , at least speed limits nice and clear. garda officer told me im only allowed to tow same speed as hgv's. towing
really is a minefield.

Those speed limits are UK limits.

No idea what they are down south, they could well be different, and they would be in kph

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
Until you have to stop for a people carrier loaded with a full family... See how good 110 and stretched out legs feels then...
the trailer brakes work like there is no trailer there at all, and considering the weight is so far below capability of my truck the offset of more speed seemed to be no issue. and i keep my distances from anything in front so no situation like that should arise....

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Right,

Have done some reasearch and want to clarify before I put a tow bar on my car.

Car = 2004 c220cdi (unladen weight 1500kg)
I only have standard (after 1997) licence

Does that mean I can pull a trailer 1500kg (combined weight of trailer & load) legally. (MAM = 3000 Kg)

From what I can see this is correct?

STILL can't decide if this is right or wrong ffs!!!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Checked my counterpart licence last night and it says no towing a trailer over 750 Kg (since I have no B+E entitlement) - so I'm guessing that's the rules. Such a confusing system.

when did you get your licence? the link Avo posted expains it well.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
when did you get your licence? the link Avo posted expains it well.
2001 - I think this statement is correct -
"can pull a trailer 1500kg (combined weight of trailer & load) legally. (MAM = 3000 Kg)". But not sure - really is the opposite of a transparent system!!

Last edited:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
2001 - I think this statement is correct -
"can pull a trailer 1500kg (combined weight of trailer & load) legally. (MAM = 3000 Kg)". But not sure - really is the opposite of transparent system!!
Yep your right. As long as the merc is allowed to tow 1500kgs, then your licence does.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.