What Weight Can Your Car Tow? - Chart Inside...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That's for category B license holders only Stevie. B&E holders can go to the cars plated capacity:

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E

That's why Nicky, Paul, etc say that you need to check your license requirements as well as your vehicle capabilities before sticking a trailer on.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
Yeah Ewok good man. As far as I know thats the maximum for the UK. So even the likes of yamaharaptors monster could tow 8 tonnes easily he is still restricted to 3.5 LOL
is that what id be limited to? its a whole can of worms with the dodge. the m.o.t testers took half an hour to figure out which category it actually came under for testing and it took about 6 of them!. even though the tax book states its a private goods vehicle. it weighs about 3300kgs , and original canadian stickers state 23000lbs gross train weight. id love to know what i could pull max. id love to make a big tri axle 5th wheel toy hauler for it!

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
as far as I know yamaha thats about it. You may be able to argue your case with the monster truck

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
You need a C1 licence to drive a vehicle weighing more than 3.5ton it seems.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Thats what maybe causes the weight restriction, so is that closer to an HGV license then ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Normal old license, ie pre 1997 will cover you up to 7.5t.

It's only those who passed their test after that have the big restrictions

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
My land rover is too old for the list, it only does post 2001 land rovers,

Pulled around 3 ton before with our any problems, - Till i got stuck going across a field that is lol, unhitched and went to find a tractor, job done

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
2.8T for me, need to get that up to 3.5T with the next wagon.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Feck didn't know that, I thought B+E covered car and trailer?

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Feck didn't know that, I thought B+E covered car and trailer?

Up to a certain train weight (loaded car and trailer combined), which is 3,500kg as far as I know...

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
So 3500kg vehicle + 750kg trailer for B licence holders and up 3500kg vehicle + 3500kg trailer for B+E licence holders?

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Wasn't very well explained by Ian's School of Motoring then, as they said you're not allowed over 3500kg without a C1, even with the likes of a jeep and trailer, regardless of what they're stamped to.

Had that been the case, the majority of people pulling track cars and horse boxes would be well over the limit... Alas, I was wrong.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So 3500kg vehicle + 750kg trailer for B licence holders and up 3500kg vehicle + 3500kg trailer for B+E licence holders?

Looking at this again..

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

In theory there is a potential maximum of 4.25t for cat B. But the trailer weight cannot exceed the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, and if trailer is over 750kg, MAM is down to 3.5t ?

Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.

This allows you to tow more than the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, but there is still a max MAM of 3.5t

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Right,

Have done some reasearch and want to clarify before I put a tow bar on my car.

Car = 2004 c220cdi (unladen weight 1500kg)
I only have standard (after 1997) licence

Does that mean I can pull a trailer 1500kg (combined weight of trailer & load) legally. (MAM = 3000 Kg)

From what I can see this is correct?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Right,

Have done some reasearch and want to clarify before I put a tow bar on my car.

Car = 2004 c220cdi (unladen weight 1500kg)
I only have standard (after 1997) licence

Does that mean I can pull a trailer 1500kg (combined weight of trailer & load) legally. (MAM = 3000 Kg)

From what I can see this is correct?

I was under the impression that unless you have done additional tests, you're stuck with the 750kg max

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I think its trickier for new drivers going by this: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/in...wing-trailers-with-a-car-or-small-vehicle.htm

But if you've had your license pre 19 Jan 2013 then: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/in...r-caravans-with-vehicles-up-to-3-5-tonnes.htm

A category B vehicle (general road car) may be coupled with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 3,500kgs MAM, or, be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 4,250kgs MAM

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
My Disco weighs 2.6T and can legally tow 3.5T which gives a train weight of 6.1T, I have B+E licence, am I legal or not?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.