E39 M5

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I'd messaged patric to see about bringing the audi up to him for a quote for a respray, he replied with £7k without even seeing it or asking any questions 🤯

I appreciate cost of materials has gone up etc, but I was expecting more like £3-4k based on the type of cars he seems to get through 🤷🏻‍♂️ I would never have the finances to spend that much on painting, so mine will have to be done in a shed instead 🙈

Hard to imagine folk spending that much on respraying a 4-5 grand car? Maybe I'm just living in the disillusioned past? 🤣 maybe not fair to put that all on him when I haven't asked any of the other competitors for a price, no doubt they're all in that same ballpark.

As @EF Ian says id want to know all the rust has been dealt with before spending thousands on paint. My mk4 anniversary got resprayed in 2017 and by 2019 the rust was starting to show signs of returning 😭

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'd messaged patric to see about bringing the audi up to him for a quote for a respray, he replied with £7k without even seeing it or asking any questions 🤯

I appreciate cost of materials has gone up etc, but I was expecting more like £3-4k based on the type of cars he seems to get through 🤷🏻‍♂️ I would never have the finances to spend that much on painting, so mine will have to be done in a shed instead 🙈

Hard to imagine folk spending that much on respraying a 4-5 grand car? Maybe I'm just living in the disillusioned past? 🤣 maybe not fair to put that all on him when I haven't asked any of the other competitors for a price, no doubt they're all in that same ballpark.

As @EF Ian says id want to know all the rust has been dealt with before spending thousands on paint. My mk4 anniversary got resprayed in 2017 and by 2019 the rust was starting to show signs of returning 😭

£3-4k resprays will generally be a hash. 😂

Although if you had it stripped and were prepared to rebuild it, and it’s a simple flatten and respray then yeah that’s probably doable. But bare metal with rust repairs would be a lot more than £3-4k.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yes 7k seems to be the standard response. Have been quoted a few quid either side. That doesn't include panels, trim and unforeseen stuff which will be added on at a rate of between £35 & £50 an hour. Can soon add up.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I’ve seen many 3-4K resprays recently that are definitely not a hash. 😂 Some people know how to stick the arm in. Are people actually paying 7K plus for a respray these days?

I’m sure a lot depends on the condition of the car to begin with and what prep was done by the owner before handing it over. Without context it’s impossible to compare.

Was it 3-4k including stripping the car down, welding and fabrication work? Where abouts did it?

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I really can’t see how any painter is quoting anyone without seeing the car.

7k is absolute madness just for paint and I’ve had many cars painted over the years, and recently.

Message him back and ask is he quoting full bare shell, with possible fabrication and using glasurit paint systems? 😂

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I’ve seen many 3-4K resprays recently that are definitely not a hash. 😂 Some people know how to stick the arm in. Are people actually paying 7K plus for a respray these days?
Agree, with the first part, anyone saying that a 3-4k respray is generally a hash is talking utter bollocks. But, yes a lot of the time 7k is the rough ballpark for a full respray now. When you factor in the hours involved plus costs of material and electric, likely oil too etc it isn't long adding up.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It wasn’t ~7 just for paint either.

A few places wouldn’t quote at all it was purely an hourly rate. A pay as you go type set-up. Fair enough.

Also had a cheaper quote than above but they started with a caveat about rust returning, so they repair what they can but no guarantees it’ll last.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
How long is a piece of string?

What is a "respray"? A few panels? Glass out, full strip down, bare metal?

What is a "rust repair"? Some paint and filler over bubbling that will just return again? A patch weld? Full strip down bare metal rebuild?

Everyone is different. People run a business to make a living. Too high? Don't do it, or go somewhere else. Nothing to get upset about.

I bet nobody here works for free. Why should others?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Not usually a BM fan, but thats a lovely colour and with the sentimental value it is absolutely worth spending the time and money imo.

Looking forward to updates on this

And yes....prices have just went astronomical :scream:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
How long is a piece of string?

What is a "respray"? A few panels? Glass out, full strip down, bare metal?

What is a "rust repair"? Some paint and filler over bubbling that will just return again? A patch weld? Full strip down bare metal rebuild?

Everyone is different. People run a business to make a living. Too high? Don't do it, or go somewhere else. Nothing to get upset about.

I bet nobody here works for free. Why should others?
Anyone who calls a rust repair paint and filler over bubbling rust or a respray as painting a few panels is an idiot in fairness 😂

A lot of painters will not take on rust repair in fairness, due to time involved and risk of it returning, no matter how thorough you are, there is always a risk (unless you go to the lengths @EF Ian has with the Datsun).

Anyways @Coog the M5 looks lovely and with catching the bits of rust now it should be well future proofed. The seamsealer can hide a lot all the same, so just make sure whoever does the work takes it back further than you'd initially think is needed.

Jason

RMS Regular
Looks like a great car to start with but as you say the rust repair could run into a handling, my bodyshop is doing the twin of our Bluewater at the moment its getting new sills etc as far as I know.

I'm lucky that our car has never had any rust issues, but its been garaged most of its life.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Reading this page, I can safely say I will never get a respray :joy:

Here, take the reaction of car enthusiasts on here that should know the craic and spare a thought for the conversations I’ve had at home with Mrs Coog!

Looks like a great car to start with but as you say the rust repair could run into a handling, my bodyshop is doing the twin of our Bluewater at the moment its getting new sills etc as far as I know.

I'm lucky that our car has never had any rust issues, but its been garaged most of its life.

Yep, this was garaged all its life too!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Here, take the reaction of car enthusiasts on here that should know the craic and spare a thought for the conversations I’ve had at home with Mrs Coog!

I wouldn't tell her :joy:

1702463908387.png

Jason

RMS Regular

Yep, this was garaged all its life too!
Strange, must have been through a few winters of driving too?

Doing a full resto is a great way to loose interest in a car by time you piss about for 2 years. Speaking from experience!!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
There's obviously huge demand for this sort of work. It's amazing there's so few really good places over here dedicated to restoration type work.
Doesn't need to be huge demand as they might only be able to turn out 6 - 12 cars a year if its a larger job. It can take lot of time. Of course this varies wildly as depending on amount of work needed.

I think you would find a lot would not be willing to pay the cost a full restoration on something that required a lot of custom work due to limited panel availability.

Not sure there are many learning coachwork these days, its probably a dying skill. I think I may have liked to do it if I had started when I was young, but it would likely have meant many years of minimum wage with no guarantee of successfully going out on your own.

Love this too...
Thats awesome.

I think £7k is reasonable for a respray, I expect the Bodywork portion of the Datsun build to cost over £10k alone, granted that covers the whole car incuding all insides and underneath. Plus the finish level is consorse so not really a fare comparison. There will be a few days work just for colour sanding alone.

£3k for a respray would be crazy cheap, there is simply no way you get a good job from a bodyshop for that price, not sure anyone realizes how long it takes to prep a full car to a high standard doing everything right and for me it should only be high quality primers, base and clear, which do not come cheap.

Price includes:

Electricity
Primer
base
clear
sanding material
panel wipe
masking materials
thinners
other consumables

And no one skilled is going to want to work hard for minimum wage while running there own business and still paying off the massive costs of all the equipment it takes to run a shop plus all the extra costs. No one expects to get a budget job from a plumber or electrician and no one has any problem paying many of the manufactueres garages over £100 an hour for maintenance work.

Also, it is very easy to turn out a car that looks great on the surface with skilled use of filler. Even my Datsun is a good example of this, it looked properly mint on the surface, but it wasn't great underneath.

Also a good example of why a restoration place normally won't quote a job, if RestoShack had been forced to keep to the estimate for my job they would be out of business or they would have given me back a car that looked good on the surface, covered in loads of filler and was very poor underneath, both are terrible options.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
£3k for a respray would be crazy cheap, there is simply no way you get a good job from a bodyshop for that price, not sure anyone realizes how long it takes to prep a full car to a high standard doing everything right and for me it should only be high quality primers, base and clear, which do not come cheap.
Depends on how much you are prepared to do yourself to a decent standard to reduce hours the bodyshop has to put into it tbh.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The salt in the winter is a real killer, just eats everything in sight.
This. It's scary, you can actually see it on older cars with less protection left. Even the wee Lotus if she is out this time of year (emergencies only, lol 😅 ) needs a proper scrub under and around.

And cars left lying under covers or in damp garages, where they never dry out.

"Always garaged" can be a bit of a red flag, lol. Means "hasn't been used, and hasn't had a chance to dry out properly".

Either an air bubble, or use the car.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I like the fact that air still circulates through my car port a little as it’s not completely boxed in but enough to protect it from the elements. I absolutely hate rot, when you start into it with the wire wheel, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.