E39 M5

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Recently there was a bit of discussion on the forum about sentimental cars. I didn't contribute. I don't do vehicular sentimentality. I have a list & I buy to try (often several at once (or seven at once as it now stands)), appreciate the engineering, get to know the car, improve on it and then after a few years reluctantly move it on to create space.

I had a MX5 for 9 years, and there's been an A4 cab in the stable for the past 4 years; I'm not shifting them on after 15 minutes like some do - just long enough to really get to know the thing inside out.

There are a couple of exceptions though. My very first MINI. It was new, I picked the options from the brochure, it was exactly what I wanted and it was very exciting. I'd buy that car back in a heartbeat. The other exception is the car that indirectly brought my Dad and I to the German Grand Prix at the Hockenheim Ring in 2000, courtesy of an invite from Prentice BMW of Portadown. That was the one were Schumacher went off on the 3rd lap and into the barrier no more than 20 foot in front of us. I crawled down under the seating, reached out and touched his car that day. Amazing.

Several weeks previous to that my Dad took delivery of this brand new E39 M5. The plan was to buy an M5 and run it long term instead of a string of VW Passats / Mondeos / whatever back to back and therefore spread the cost over a long time and not just lift a new shiny every few years.

From towing a boat (yes we are equipped with a detachable tow bar), wedding duties, ferrying me to hospital with a shattered ankle to my first experience of rear steer and everything in between. A veritable hewn from granite sledgehammer of it's day and as much a part of the family as the beloved cat or dog. It has always been there.

One day last month my Dad mentioned in passing that due to lack of use it might be time to shift the old girl on. There wasn't even a decision to be made. It was bought that evening without even so much as a glance round the thing.

So now it's mine.

It's a pre facelift car, built late '99 but according to the internetz has an upgraded Vanos. There's an absolute stack of paperwork with it including the original bill of sale for a whopping £66k back in 2000. Rust, niggles and issues to resolve. Plenty to keep me busy over the next year or so. It can feel somewhat sedate compared to my daily driver Golf R, but unlike the VW it oozes character. 400bhp, V8, manual, RWD, analogue and even at 23 years old it's still not exactly a slow car. A linear power delivery that's still deceptively quick. It feels surprisingly small too.

Plans? Restore to former glory. I'm not even going to remove the tape deck, stick a FBMWMFFLSW (or whatever the kids do these days) or mess about with any mods. It's of it's age and I'll continue on that theme.

For now though I'm just going to enjoy my new addition. It'll be with me forever and something I plan to pass along to my two lads when the time comes but not before a few years of requests to 'give her the guddy' from the rear seats, as is an already established family tradition.

The best bit is now my Dad's on the classic policy so while we both get to continue to enjoy the M5, he's able to appreciate the joy of a rather red VAG collection (I think he quite likes the GTI) :joy:

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

IMG_4231.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4200.jpeg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Class it's staying in the family! 😎
Health to tidy and drift.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
well that is just lovely and great history and story with it

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
This is fantastic news, the sort of keeping it in the family I can get on board with. Love the E39 M5, and wallet destroyer or otherwise, its a beaut.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Looks great Coog - from those photos you'd think there was nothing wrong with it at all!

RolyaT

RMS Regular
Drives
people mad
Looks great in this photos! It’s great that you are able to keep it in the family.

KevM

RMS Regular
Ah, I have always loved these. I cant believe the bargain they once were either.

BMW have been getting progressively more complicated and probably a lot uglier ever since.

Thats just Class.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Surely the first port of call (pardon the pun) is to get the phone working, if it isnt already. What a great back story, and a fantastic colour. Enjoy

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Love that Coog. Still don't think they've made a better looking M5 since the E39. I love the torque these things have too. So much fun

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Jeez, the way you talked about it I was expecting a dog! I know we haven't seen underneath but sure looks in good order in those photos.

What a great story behind it and you're lucky to have that 👍 Look forward to the updates 😀

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
That is so class. An E39 M5 has always been on my wish list and a poster car of mine. Very jealous.

Had actually caught one of your old threads about them a few years ago which had a lot of good advice in it.

Also thanks to @Steve750 for the advice as well, much appreciated.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Absolutely stunning car, excellent colour and great backstory! Have a real soft spot for these. I remember them being just £4000-£5000 when I was younger around 2009-2010 and I only had about £2500-£3000 spare at the time, and chased them for years just always a little short to afford one, always telling myself I'd have one in 6-12 months. Like all the good JDM stuff of the time too!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Brilliant. Still remember my passenger ride at 16 when it was brand new, looking over at I'm pretty certain 120 in 3rd gear :heart_eyes: :joy:. Still looks great!

One of my biggest car regrets is selling a very tidy Imola red one with 100k miles for £8k in 2015, just before they took off 😭

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Not often these pair ask for the bonnet to be popped for a gander 😂

IMG_4238.jpeg

Brilliant. Still remember my passenger ride at 16 when it was brand new, looking over at I'm pretty certain 120 in 3rd gear :heart_eyes: :joy:. Still looks great!

One of my biggest car regrets is selling a very tidy Imola red one with 100k miles for £8k in 2015, just before they took off 😭

Your dad came into Ballygowan in it at or near triple figure speeds 😂