Cavalier Turbo 4x4... On the road!!!!!!!!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well now I prove the Vauxhall fetish in me lives strongly J

This has been sucha long time coming and wasn’t gonna do a thread till it was complete, but seeing it at this stage I got a bit excited and there’s not an awful lot left to do... I think. Most prob know bout the car, but its been off the road since august 2005 ffs what started as a bit of power increase worked its way into a rebuild!

For those who don’t know, its 1993 cav turbo 4x4. Not many of these left, last estimate is set below 300 for the Uk out of 5000 made. It’s only just tipped 90k and standard power is 205bhp through a 6 speed box. Top speed standard of 160 and standard 0-60 around 6.3seconds.

Initially plan was for a fmic, uprate fuel pump, steel head gasket, uprate plugs and phase 2 software. This developed into headwork by S. Gault and engine rebuild wi ceramic clutch and all new timing kit, arp bolts/studs etc. Engine was out and rebuild in good progress but once it went back in came upon problems that it was turning over but no power to fuel pump and no spark from the coil in any shape or form. Tried EVERYTHING under the sun and getting info on the C20LET proved a nitemare eventually we narrowed it down to loom and Keith Robinson kindly nipped over to ballymoney a few evenins to lenda hand and parts with the donation of his loom it fired up, so Keith let me have it and I got him a replacement, thanks again chap ;-)

A coscast head was purchased and given to S. Gault for fettling then the car landed upto ballymoney to Alan at Roddy’s country Garage. Findin someone even willing to take the cav on was difficult but cant fault Alan for his work and wi the problems of the loom etc he wasn’t gonna let it beat him!! Some of what was replaced, bound to have left a load out:
  • arp con rod bolts head studs etc,
  • steel head gasket,
  • uprated fuel pump,
  • uprated spark plugs
  • front mount intercooler,
  • silicon hoses
  • all new timing kit,
  • water pump
  • oil pump,
  • ceramic clutch,
  • uprated actuator,
  • new uprated alternator,
  • phase 2 software,
  • 3.5bar fixed fuel pressure regulator,
  • irmscher 30mm lowering springs
  • xe cams.
  • All filters etc etc
  • Transfer box oil changed
  • Coscast head
  • Camshaft sensor
  • Coil & module
  • Fuel pump relay
Wi car being up in Ballymoney and me working about 60 odd hours a week at that point didn’t get up to see it that often so pics are limited

Dimage223Small.jpg

Dimage219Medium.jpg

Dimage229.jpg

Dimage211Medium.jpg

Dimage207Medium.jpg

and I’m just thinking I don’t have a pic of the engine back in… it is there I assure you lol

Also ordered were all the small bits for interior/exterior,
  • brand new velour mats,
  • flaps,
  • badges,
  • weatherstrips,
  • wiper arms,
  • door mouldings,
  • new front and rear bumpers and plastic reinforcements,
  • new headlights and indicators,
  • Clean set of 2nd hand fogs, (new ones are 100quid each, cant justify it at the mo lol L
  • side repeaters,
  • one new mirror,
  • all the clips for the skirts and door mouldings etc,
  • new central lockin module
  • new battery

So wi engine out and sorted and back in, it was time to look at the outside, car has always been clean, genuine and straight with original arches etc, but I had a score on the pass side which needed painted, small bit of lacquer peel on the edge of the spoiler which no one would notice but annoyed me and few stone chips on the front. Was easier to respray the car than start tryin to patch the small bits. Friend in Banbridge sorted the prepping and stripping side of things and another friend sorted the painting. Have to say many thanks to these guys they’ve done an immense job couldn’t have hoped for a better finish anyone looking paintin done I highly recommend them pm and I’ll give ye details!!

Once she was stripped of the bumpers and skirts etc was afraid in case we’d find a few holes/rot, but happily she was very solid. Few pics of the paintin/strippin

Scrape on pass side
Dimage503Medium-2.jpg

Car before goin for paint (cant really see scrape, but one of those things u know its there it bugs you)
Dimage508Medium.jpg

Strippin, bumpers skirts windows, mouldings etc etc all off

cav001Medium.jpg

cav008Medium.jpg

cav011Medium.jpg

cav012Medium.jpg

cav019Medium.jpg

cav021Medium.jpg

cav026Medium.jpg

Car primed

cav035Medium.jpg

cav033Medium.jpg

cav032Medium.jpg

cav031Medium.jpg

cav027Medium.jpg

cav028Medium.jpg

cav029Medium.jpg

Just painted

cav151Medium.jpg

cav155Medium.jpg

cav156Medium.jpg

cav158Medium.jpg

cav161Medium.jpg

cav162Medium.jpg

cav172Medium.jpg

Finally got it home bout a week and a half ago, so still haven’t got chance to get the polish/wax near it or even dress the tires/plastics etc but well pleased wi the results…

cav205Medium.jpg

cav206Medium.jpg

previously the front bumper lip had been cut away a fair bit for clearance on the intercooler and I didn’t really like it, so new bumper bought and trimmed as closely as possible, damn good fit

cav207Medium.jpg

cav218Medium.jpg

cav203Medium.jpg

cav224Medium.jpg

Sooo… that’s her for now, spare set of rims are currently in nu luk, cars been cleaned underneath and shall be wax oiled un due time, also hopin to get it onto axle stands and start cleaning the brakes all up or orderin new brake,s although the ones that are on it weren’t on that long and are all drilled etc so shall see wats what when I get closer look again. Possibly some powder coating of the suspension arms etc and then preppin for mot, sound sys all has to be dug out of the roof space aswell ffs and a trip to audio advice to get that all sorted again..

Comments welcome, and expected horse power to be anything over 280 all bein well. new headlights still to be fitted, shud freshen it up nicely

http://www.jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=159873&page=1#pid1881371

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Excellent work Mark, Its turned into an awesome car, the paint finish looks flawless. Health to enjoy!

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
Oh my! Now that looks fooking well Mate.

ALways loved the oul Chavaliers... great job:cool: (y)

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
Very nice mate, health to enjoy, alot of work went in there anyway.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
cheers, also have a locked transfer box coming for it should save the 4x4 system wi the uprated power, but mot and insurance/tax be sorted in comin weeks so get her back on the tarmac :laughing:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's hardly fair a mint Calibra and Cavalier LET!!!

Nice work with that, I always got the feeling that you were doing something like this to the Cavalier!! Hope to see it out and about during the summer!

worky

RMS Regular
Drives
M135i
That is absolutely gorgeous are you keeping both the calibra and the cavalier? If you feel the need to sell the calibra let me know ;)

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
That's hardly fair a mint Calibra and Cavalier LET!!!

Nice work with that, I always got the feeling that you were doing something like this to the Cavalier!! Hope to see it out and about during the summer!

can't let you get stock of all the old vaux's lol, if i had more space i'd prob have ended up buyin everythin i seen, but i doubt elaine'd approve :innocent:

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
yeah keepin both, doubt i cud ever sell either. Puttin cali away at enda the month alloow me to concentrate on finishin this, the big vectra is nice enuff to daily drive in anyhows and save a few quid. Funny how its the small things that start to cost the money, 4 new centre caps comin close on £100, the wee plastic wheel bolt covers £1.50 each x16, even the side skirt clips etc, scary stuff!!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
can't let you get stock of all the old vaux's lol, if i had more space i'd prob have ended up buyin everythin i seen, but i doubt elaine'd approve :innocent:

That's my problem, I have space, although the old fella is getting annoyed now, especially when I landed home with an Omega the other week!!!!:party:

You taking it to any of the shows in England over the summer?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Looks great Mark, I love this Cav, remember getting a good look around it at Elim Show in Bangor and was amazed that a Cav that clean still existed - can only be better now! Hopefully see her in the flesh soon

Gaz

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
nice one mook!wud love to see this sometime! or even get a run in 1!Id say if we cut u in half it wud say vauxhall down the middle lol!We need to get this wee photoshoot goin soon!

NATMAN

RMS Regular
Drives
passat tdi130 /6
what a lovely looking cavalier, would be hard to even think about parking it when you get her on the road, health to enjoy , not too many cavaliers left nowadays

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Long overdue and it will be great to see her back on the road.

Andy

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
About time scotty! lovely big wagon, cant wait to see it about all finished.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
cheers everyone, yeah cant wait to get it out on the road, its only gonna be a wkend/gd weather motor anyhows way fuels goin but it'll deffo appear at some of the shows

as for the vauxhall down the middle dee, its possible!! and deffo overdue, prob wuda been done a long time ago if i jus plumped for a cheapo derv to run about in but i still like a bit of power to go on!!!