Who to skim/ballance flywheel?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Hi

Just wondering who can skim and ballance a flywheel here ? And rough costs
Thanks

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Steven Gault? you'd need to phone for a price.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Rough estimate at all ?

Just im replacing a clutch and been advised to get best performance out of the clutch and reliability/nice bite...that the flywheel should be refaced. I dont know much about this...Can the standard flywheel be lightened too.

A fidanza aftermarket lightened alloy one is about £200.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
surely skimming the face of the flywheel could be done by any CNC machine, as its only taking the very top of the face off it

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
surely skimming the face of the flywheel could be done by any CNC machine, as its only taking the very top of the face off it

While its out tho, if possible could get it lightened ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Robert Hoy Engineering in Cullybackey

Ditto if it needs balanced.

Although if you are just getting it re-surfaced, then there should be no need to balance it.

if balancing, then it would be better to balance it along with the clutch too.

Surface grinding will leave the best finish on the flywheel, although very few places do it. Most just stick it in the lathe.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Well basically been advised to get it ground. Out of the few that do grind rather than throw it in a lathe...who ?

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Yes lee that would be appreciated. Still got all your stuff here by the way.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Well i have a collection of few bits now lol after the blue one haha. So def not going anywhere. Def get ya a run in it too, maybe add them rose tented glasses you mentioned haha.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No idea if any machine shops do surface grind them here. I used to have a friend do it in work, but he isnt around anymore.

I think Smith's in Ballymena did one once. Although a decent cut with a lathe will e fine.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Just the manafacture warrenty applies basically if the flywheel has been ground and ran in for 500 mile. A bit strict like.

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
theres a place in lisburn that will do it just of railway street!!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Do they grind them ? Anybody got a number or name ? This the place you mean Lee ?
Thanks

marko_d

RMS Regular
Drives
Series 2 Rs Turb
robert hoy enineering done mine. but they need the crank and clutch assembely to balance it correctly

Detail NI

RMS Regular
Try OD Cars of the shore Road..... they are used by agnews and hurst.
Ask for Billy or Charley

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
America - the land of the faulty clutch.

You can interpret that 2 ways.

Either its true, or Americans cant drive a manual car. Although I do believe the latter will cover the large percentage of faulty clutches.

robert hoy enineering done mine. but they need the crank and clutch assembely to balance it correctly

Not true.
If you are balancing the entire rotating assembly, then you would need crank, rods, pistons, rings, big end bearings, clutch, flywheel, crank damper etc etc.
If you just want the clutch done, its flywheel/clutch etc

You can say you need to do one bit and another...but strictly speaking if you throw the crank in there, then you will need to do everything else too, as the crank is only one item of the rotating assembly. The clutch can be balanced outside of this though.

Although if each item ( ie clutch and flywheel ) is balanced already, then everything should be fine just to bolt together, without balancing the entire assembly.

But you can take everything to extremes, or just bolt it together, and 99.9% times it will work fine.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So whats chances of throwing it in and it be fine without any flywheel work? Car has not had a hard life with 80k mile on it, on i would say its first clutch.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the clutch itself is quality, and working properly, then it will be just fine.

But regardless, the flywheel should be totally smooth no matter what clutch you are fitting.
A quick blast in a lathe will be sufficient, but surface ground would be better.

What sort of condition is the flywheel actually in ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.