What's Just the Right Amount of Power?

•   
So we managed to keep Boydie's question to the end. I threw a ball at @Big Pimp to waken him but myself and Cooper managed to muddle through the question without passing out from sheer boredom, though it was touch and go at one point :laughing:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
You just seemed to be struggling for content so I threw it in there, can forget it if you want :p

• Haha
Reactions: Gaz

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So we managed to keep Boydie's question to the end. I threw a ball at @Big Pimp to waken him but myself and Cooper managed to muddle through the question without passing out from sheer boredom, though it was touch and go at one point :laughing:

Can’t wait.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
The latest Sold as Seen Podcast is now live.

Listen on Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Acast or just ask Siri or Alexa to Play Sold as Seen Podcast

Is the BMW I5 M60 worth north of £100k? Or a 520d over 50k? What are your rituals just before you start driving (and some climate control madness). And what's just the right amount of power? All in this episode of the Sold as Seen Podcast, with Andy Cooper from RMS Motoring, with Gary Reilly and Ross Annett. Oh, and Gary wins yet another (well deserved) watch from Evo!

Harry's Not Best Pleased with £116k of BMW i5 M60

Gary's Article on Car Names

Supra: What's in a Name? - RMS Motoring

Taycan Headlights are Taken! Mental Health Thread: https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/threads/men-and-mental-health-lets-lose-the-taboo.207500/

Sean's Just Giving Thread: https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/threads/my-wife-just-giving-page.230575/

Restomods:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/electrified-518bhp-restomodded-alfa-giulia-gt

Aston Martin Callum Vanquish 25 by R-Reforged 2022 review | Evo Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Might give this one a miss :p

Don't have my phone currently anyway so no platform to listen to it from

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I listened to it last night, great content. I get the too much power thing too, newer cars are just getting too fast to exploit all of their power on a twisty road and then there’s all that extra weight that comes with it.

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Great podcast again fellas! I also agree on the power issue. Having never owned or properly driven anything with big power, for the road I think 250 bhp is max amount you resally need on the road. Athough still cant max out in all gears imo as you are doing silly speed quite quickly! The 182 is perfect for that, and my 208 GTI before probably enhanced on that a bit more with 208bhp. But agree with what you all said regarding always wanting that extra shove as well, but I reckon if less weight was made more of an essential criteria (like the A110) then big numbers wouldn't be neccessary.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Not the first Porsche headlights I've seen stolen. I saves these pictures a good few months ago

1000036712.jpg

1000036709.jpg

Also, the bit in the podcast where you apologised for the siren, I heard a siren at that same time and presumed it was the podcast after hearing that, then an ambulance appeared blue and twos on. What's the chances 😂

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
When I listened back I couldn’t actually hear the siren either lol.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Listened last night (ironically while driving a Vauxhall (Crossland- what a fine machine)), great listen again. Even if every discussion point manages to come round to a Yaris GR or Civic Type R!

For me rather than a car having too much power, I think our roads are the limiting factor. With the state of them (especially country ones), they just aren’t the place for big wheels and sports suspension. Having to swerve/slow to avoid potholes, or grimacing when you hit something hidden just takes the fun away from it all.

If the roads were better then the power could be used anywhere really. Plenty of dual A roads to use 500hp of M5. There would never be such a thing as “too quick” to accelerate up the hill on the A1 towards Hillsborough on my way home!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Very good point @Lyons anout those f*cking Yaris GR’s 😆

But also the roads being the limiting factor

The way I look at it a bit is think of the circuit of Ireland stages.

Some of the smaller cars are putting in times close to cars with 3 times their power over sections so there’s a balance there somewhere

M555MPW

RMS Member
Drives
RS Trophy, 3
Been on the forum for the while but just found the Podcast. Really top listen. Found myself agreeing with so much said and then the Max Power generation was brought up :cool:
Brilliant to have a local one with a bit of craic. Keep up the good work 👍

Gaz

This space available for rent
OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I
Very enjoyable listen and nice way to pass the time. Though my 8 year old daughter was not so impressed: “Daddy why are you listening to northern Irish people talk bollocks?” She’ll be going up for adoption shortly.

I think she sounds like a prime guest candidate for the podcast!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Finally got round to listening to this as been up from 3am still in nightshift mode from work 😂

Agree with the too much power comments and as said before is the reason I sold the Alfa QV and bought the Yaris. Still loving it and can't see me getting bored any time soon.

Good to hear the WAW chat also, heading down next week to do another part of it. Think yous said it was 1500 miles or so?
This is our 3rd part of doing it, just head as far south as possible on each trip and then start from where we left off on the next. Usually do 3 to 4 days at a time.
This one is from the top of Galway down through Clare and in to Kerry(can't wait for the Molls Gap, Conor Pass, Healy Pass sections!), and we'll still need a 4th trip back to finish it completely.

Such a class road, and right on the doorstep! Not fast sweeping roads most of the time, and takes time to see every wee nook and cranny, but great to do! @Chris tii you'll have a blast!