Super Unleaded 99 Ron Launch

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Hi newbie here, been following this thread for a bit now and started filling my car up with the 99 ron SU at Mace Clandeboye.

Around the time of the first fill up I noticed I was having to put my foot down a bit going up steep hills. Never thought much of it but it got worse and worse to the point where it was dead when you put your foot down. Took it to the garage and no fault codes came up, I thought it was a coil pack, cam follower or something like that but turns out it was bad petrol.

Needed a new fuel filter(which was absolutely filthy) and spark plugs that were burnt out. Don't even know yet if that's all the damage that was done the car definitely still has some throttle lag it didn't have before all this. All I can do is keep running it hoping it cleans out. Is there anything else I should get checked?

I wouldn't touch Solo SU with a barge pole now. Here's the filter and the "petrol", if you can call it that, that came out. Looks more like shuck water.

Edit: I should add all I'd been using before that was Texaco supreme unleaded from Comber or Sainsbury's at Bangor with no bother at all. I filled up with solo SU 3 or 4 times with nothing else in between so I was using that only.

Share your experience with sales@solopetroleum.com

Its something that they def need to check more regularly - with all their customers across the country and 4-5 people on here who have shown evidence of poor fuel - quite high odds.

FYI - no response from my emails

Update on my car: performing now very well with me increasing pressure on my right foot daily as confidence grows however had a hesitation this morning going from S5 gear and then me knocking it into M4 (manual due to not happy with DSG choice of gear) caused a slight jerk so I backed off. Booked in next month to get plugs changed and fuel filter done again.

AC

RMS Regular
Have you checked the plugs? Mine were in a terrible state.

Funny thing is I read about the problems with the Comber one but thought that big Mace would get their tanks cleaned regularly as it's so busy.

I have not no - the plugs were new less than 500 miles ago and the car gets a beating round Kirkistown mostly, it's not normally driven much on the road. If I get time before heading out on track again, I'll pull them and take a look but I'm not too concerned as it's now running well for an 18 year old car with 90k+ miles. That said, I ran a few tanks of the 99 through on track and it was all dead on - so who knows but will be sticking to BP going forward.

The Mace in Comber have nothing to do with the pumps there - or so I was told by the chap behind the counter. Not sure if they are owned by Solo themselves or managed/maintained by someone else.

Cookie80

RMS Member
Share your experience with sales@solopetroleum.com

Its something that they def need to check more regularly - with all their customers across the country and 4-5 people on here who have shown evidence of poor fuel - quite high odds.

FYI - no response from my emails

Update on my car: performing now very well with me increasing pressure on my right foot daily as confidence grows however had a hesitation this morning going from S5 gear and then me knocking it into M4 (manual due to not happy with DSG choice of gear) caused a slight jerk so I backed off. Booked in next month to get plugs changed and fuel filter done again.
Thanks I'll do that this evening. I was thinking that myself, wondering how many this has actually happened to. Most people aren't on forums I posted here because others had the same problem just to add my two pence.

Checked my bank app there and I first filled on the 6th July with 5 fills including that up till 22nd. I'd been driving really easy those few weeks because of the constant rain so didn't realise how bad it actually was. The Wednesday before I took it to the garage is when the ticking started and the engine sounded worse and worse till I was afraid to drive it it sounded so rough. Tbh I started wondering was it in my head till I took it out a test run and put my foot down found out it was dead especially at higher revs. The eml never came on so that gives me a bit of hope that I caught it early enough thought I suspect the plugs and fuel filter may need to be checked again soon as I'm sure there's some crap still in the tank.

They may not reply to emails because that would be admitting fault but pretty poor customer service at the same time. Even worse if they've read emails and still let it go on knowing they're damaging people's cars.

The irony is it'll be the like of us that care about their cars and think they're doing them good by using the right fuel even though it's more expensive that'll have their cars damaged yet the tubes I see filling their Porsches and M3's on cheap 95 ron will be fine.

I've filled up at all sorts of filling stations around England and NI and I've never had this problem before it's pretty shocking that this can happen in a developed country in 2023 I've never thought before about where I get my petrol crom. Do they not inspect fuel at all now?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I would be a good idea to get your injectors checked / cleaned as well if you are feeling continued hesitation after fuel pump / filter replacement.
If you can look at real/actual delivered fuel or just pull the plugs and see if they look mega lean, that might also give you confirmation that it is running lean too.
Lambda signal / AFR would be a place to start too if you can access live data while driving.

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Thanks I'll do that this evening. I was thinking that myself, wondering how many this has actually happened to. Most people aren't on forums I posted here because others had the same problem just to add my two pence.

Checked my bank app there and I first filled on the 6th July with 5 fills including that up till 22nd. I'd been driving really easy those few weeks because of the constant rain so didn't realise how bad it actually was. The Wednesday before I took it to the garage is when the ticking started and the engine sounded worse and worse till I was afraid to drive it it sounded so rough. Tbh I started wondering was it in my head till I took it out a test run and put my foot down found out it was dead especially at higher revs. The eml never came on so that gives me a bit of hope that I caught it early enough thought I suspect the plugs and fuel filter may need to be checked again soon as I'm sure there's some crap still in the tank.

They may not reply to emails because that would be admitting fault but pretty poor customer service at the same time. Even worse if they've read emails and still let it go on knowing they're damaging people's cars.

The irony is it'll be the like of us that care about their cars and think they're doing them good by using the right fuel even though it's more expensive that'll have their cars damaged yet the tubes I see filling their Porsches and M3's on cheap 95 ron will be fine.

I've filled up at all sorts of filling stations around England and NI and I've never had this problem before it's pretty shocking that this can happen in a developed country in 2023 I've never thought before about where I get my petrol crom. Do they not inspect fuel at all now?

When I emailed them I attached my own photos as well as the ones posted in here from Cookstown, so if you are emailing them, feel free to use my photos as well.

Cookie80

RMS Member
Cheers for that I'll try to get it booked in soon as I can to get them looked at. Between lost wages and repairs I'm already over £400 down never mind my time and the car being off the road for a few days plus the worry of what damage has been done. You do everything you can spending a load of dough to maintain your car then this happens out of nowhere it's bloody frustrating.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Has the Solo in Ballymoney removed the 99 Ron completely now?

If so, looks like I'm back to octane boosters 😭
It’s kinda what you are running anyway with solo 99. Just a highly concentrated one, couldn’t run an octane boost with solo99.

I’m in Kent with friends atm and there local shell has v-power 99, I’m jealous

Cookie80

RMS Member
It’s kinda what you are running anyway with solo 99. Just a highly concentrated one, couldn’t run an octane boost with solo99.

I’m in Kent with friends atm and there local shell has v-power 99, I’m jealous
We really need that or Tesco to do their momentum 99 over here. Are there no Tesco's in ROI? If there are then surely that's enough of a market on the whole island to have a mixing facility. V-power really does sound good but haven't seen a shell garage here in a long time.

There's a big gap demand there for someone to come in and take advantage of I'd have thought. Especially with them only getting 95 down south.

Seriously disappointed about my experience with what I thought was a good thing near me. Tbh if I lived near Loughbrickland or Ballymoney I'd use there's but never going near that Mace again. Car still feels a bit jerky but hopefully that'll go away over time. Part of me is worried the fuel pump is damaged though as it's getting harder to start especially in the morning.

GrantR

RMS Regular
We really need that or Tesco to do their momentum 99 over here. Are there no Tesco's in ROI? If there are then surely that's enough of a market on the whole island to have a mixing facility. V-power really does sound good but haven't seen a shell garage here in a long time.

There's a big gap demand there for someone to come in and take advantage of I'd have thought. Especially with them only getting 95 down south.

Seriously disappointed about my experience with what I thought was a good thing near me. Tbh if I lived near Loughbrickland or Ballymoney I'd use there's but never going near that Mace again. Car still feels a bit jerky but hopefully that'll go away over time. Part of me is worried the fuel pump is damaged though as it's getting harder to start especially in the morning.

Just purchase the additive yourself and never worry about being near Loughbrickland or Ballymoney 😉

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Down for a wee fill today!

IMG_0614.jpeg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I haven't seen anything from Solo and after what happened to some on here, I'm avoiding Ballyrobert and sticking with BP ultimate for now.

Cookie80

RMS Member
Since that happened to me I've talked to a few people who have had ordinary unleaded from Mace Clandeboye and said their cars haven't been running well. My cousin's diesel has been having problems and he's filled up a few times there. Basically they've same as I did, loss of power, noisy engine etc. I suspect it's more to do with the pumps at that particular station than the petrol itself as others have filled up at Loughbrickland and Ballyrobert with no problems. As has been said they've new tanks.

Must be the tanks not the petrol.

Update on my car: having problems again...juddering idle, noisy engine and sputtering sometimes at speed. Booked in to the garage on Monday and I'm suspecting it'll be fuel system related to do with the dirty petrol as the car hasn't been 100% since. I may be wrong and it's just coincidence tho...

Mackers91

RMS Regular
We've used Ballyrobert a couple of times now in the Cupra and my partners dad would fill his bikes up there too. Not had any issues with the 99.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Any of the sites which had new tanks installed are grand, it seems to be the others

Since I stopped using Comber Solo and been putting in BP Ultimate again after my service, I haven't had any issues.

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
Seems the Solo garage with the 99 in Loughbrickland is no-more and is now Texaco....wonder if they will do Super at their pumps..

Texaco Loughbrickland.jpg
Texaco Loughbrickland.jpg

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
OP
arnbeckett
Drives
GTR/Defender
@arnbeckett any news? I’d fill up there most weeks recently
Hi guys we still have 99 Super Unleaded at our pumps. It was contract renewal time and we decided to move to the world wide Texaco brand.

The base fuel, Texaco's Supreme Unleaed 97 is arguably better than before and we continue to add our additive making 99 Unleaded, it is also still E5.