S2000 heat soak

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

martyards

RMS Regular
Drives
carefully
Well summers coming (if you could call it that) and I usually have an s2000 on the road, Great pokey wee cars except for when the temp in the engine bay is going straight in through the air filter and reduces your 240bhp to around 90bhp. No joke ask an s2k owner....

Has anyone had any good results overcoming the heat soak issue ? I was thinking of re-routing the ac to periodically cool the induction. Kinda fridge effect, or any good induction kits you know of to combat this?

pablo

RMS Moderator
cant you relocate the filter down behind the bumper?

@Phil_D had a pretty sporty induction kit on his S2k looked like it was enclosed.

martyards

RMS Regular
OP
martyards
Drives
carefully
The problem with that is the s2 has a load of plastic guff around the front bumper to cool the rads properly etc. I'm taking the bumper off today actually so that could be an option

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
What intake is it?

The AEM V2 sits down behind the rad fans.

36099.JPG

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
It is well reknowned that putting an aftermarket system onto the NSX is futile. There is no reported gains based on claims by those that build these things. It has been tested that the orignal system that comes with the car produces the BEST results even when aftermarket exhausts etc are installed. Aftermarket variants always resulted in power loss.

This could be similar with the S2K ... dunno. best checking with someone like @S2000-sam or as the link says contact ScienceofSpeed ... they are all things s2k and NSX

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Very few gains to be had via induction kits on the f20c...but for noise and looks I would highly recommend the pwjdm carbon Intake...

IMG_3474DesktopResolution.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
IMO there's no perfect intake which overcomes the heat soak issue with S2ks. I had an AEM V2 and looked at various other intakes but came to the conclusion (and many on S2ki agreed) that if you want rid of heat soak, you need to get that heat out of the engine bay. And you really only have 2 options to do that effectively, either install a vented bonnet or fit a manual switch for your rad fans so you can switch them on regardless of engine temp and expel some of that heat.

S2000-sam

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000, Passat tr
The V2 and alot of the intakes that have snorkels, PWJDM, J's Racing, Spoon, route cold air from in front of the rads. After that the air chambers can suffer heat ingress from the engine compartment. Ive seen some combat this by insulating them, having said that it isint too much of a problem when the car is moving.

PWJDM and Gruppe M intakes tend to produce more mid range power. A tune along with a few other breathing mods will liberate more pronounced gains. For serious power it takes FI on these.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Accords have the K&N typhoon that go behind the bumper below the headlight. But I always worried about sucking in water. Surely gruppe m would be best option

S2000-sam

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000, Passat tr
Gruppe M isint any better than some of the other good snorkels that are about. Heaps of tests on S2ki where they test them all. The V2 is placed in behind the headlight too. Pulling in water is never an issue. I drove mine in monsoons lol

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Surely the standard intake is designed to combat this 'heat soak'? I'd imagine it'd only be an issue when the car is stationary of moving very very slowly?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Genuine question here, what makes the S2k worse that any other engine sitting in traffic/going slow etc for 'heat soak'?

Surely all air intake temperatures rise abit when the engine is running and bonnet is shut, and there isn't a wild amount of air being fed in for cooling?

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Good question for sure, most aftermarket bits just claim better power gain outside of town driving. But as stated earlier there is plenty of evidence to suggest that an aftermarket system will not provide the power gains advertised and in reality only add to induction noise with potential heat soak and it's best sticking with OEM setup by Honda but as Sam is an actual s2k owner he has more knowledge than me, as I can only speak for the s2k's mummy DNA :grinning:

Last edited:

AndyG

RMS Regular
Heat wrap the standard intake pipe and and airbox then fit a snorkel. I plan to do that this summer with some thermal gaskets. Also got a cooling plate but how much difference that makes I don't know

The difference between a hot day and cold night in a s2000 is crazy. Especially sitting in traffic

martyards

RMS Regular
OP
martyards
Drives
carefully
I dont know why but they just die power wise with warm air, i estimate they drop well below 200bhp with a hot engine bay

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
As Andy says Honda one all the way

I have an OEM intake but an aftermarket drop in panel filter
add in custom cold air feed where the resonator box would be behind the bumper

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.