respray before sale or not ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
considering changing car soon and about 3 months ago got the bumper repainted as the paint was flaking where a previous owner had done a shoddy repair. now the respray job was top notch even a better colour match to the rest of the car than the original . now the bonnet is plastered in stone chips - I mean totally covered. would it put off a potential buyer to have too much respraying done or leave as is? if I decide to keep it I was planning to get bonnet done anyway

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
What is the car and potential value? If I was after a cheap car I'd probably overlook some stone chips but a lot could be off putting. This would need to be reflected in the price so that I could then get it fixed myself or put up with the cost saving. On the other hand, a very well presented car will sell easier but it still needs to be well priced otherwise it could sit. Maybe some pictures might help get some feedback from the forum?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I wouldn't bother painting a stone chipped bonnet to sell a car TBH. Plaster it with colour magic and buff the life out of the car

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@big_pete at PMG Autocare can flawlessly repair most stone chips depending on car colour.

Costs an awful lot less than respraying too.

RoniN

RMS Regular
If you're really concerned about it take it to @big_pete at PMG Autocare to fill in the stone chips and get an enhancement detail done at the same time.
Car will be like new and sell easily.

Cheers

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I sold my car recently and the bonnet could have done with being painted so I told the guy I wasn't starting to paint it as it could make the car looked damaged repaired.

pablo

RMS Moderator
its not flawless in fairness, a lot better than the chips but doesnt compare to a respray. Great for someone who doesnt want to have a panel sprayed though.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Would be less time involved in spraying over a panel than doing that lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
@big_pete does it - @Big Pimp will sell you a heap of stuff to look at instead :grinning:

Not everyone wants to paint a bonnet. youre talking what 200 quid for a decent job and the hassle of losing the car for a few days. then do you get the wings blown in too? more cost/time.

nice to have a choice but comes down to budget/convenience really.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
@big_pete does it - @Big Pimp will sell you a heap of stuff to look at instead :grinning:

Not everyone wants to paint a bonnet. youre talking what 200 quid for a decent job and the hassle of losing the car for a few days. then do you get the wings blown in too? more cost/time.

Whoops tagged wrong person lol

Yeah I know what you mean, just curious as to cost to fill each chip compared to a respray TBH

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If its bad and worth a few quid or is rare then paint it. I always like to have the car sitting right and can stand over it with confidence like @scoobyrb555 . The problem with that is that it drives the price of the car up a bit and 99% of the folk over here base prices on the cheapest heap on Gumtree and that's all they want to pay.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If you start painting a car with chips and marks it's hard to stop at just one panel. Ends up looking fake.
Sell as is. For cheaper. Especially in NI. Cheap is best. Lol. Unless it's something nice.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Honesty and tell them.

why would you feel the need to tell a buyer that? its not like he is hiding that he wrote it off and slapped it back together its just a few chips getting blown in. the buyer will see how tidy it looks and think its a car in good nick. which it probably is.​

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
There are a lot of badly painted/repaired cars out there. If someone left me to notice the paintwork then I'd be wondering what else they weren't telling me and I'd walk away. By being upfront and honest about a repair, this helps sell a car to a genuine buyer.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

why would you feel the need to tell a buyer that? its not like he is hiding that he wrote it off and slapped it back together its just a few chips getting blown in. the buyer will see how tidy it looks and think its a car in good nick. which it probably is.​

I always say about paint work, what's been done to the car, known faults. Why wouldn't you? Saves any ballsing about.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I always say about paint work, what's been done to the car, known faults. Why wouldn't you? Saves any ballsing about.

Exactly, I had a few marks on my civic when selling that I could have hid but I was honest and sold the car. I would hate to buy a car and find out it was painted to cover things.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
OP
J
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti

lad I know has quoted me £250 for a full bare metal respray of the bonnet inc getting the wings blown in. this would leave the car virtually chip/scratch free. theres a 1 inch long scratch appeared on passenger door on xmas 8o| and a couple of fresh chips on bumper
car is a 11yr old type r btw

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.