question about car transporter trailer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I did my lessons with Cyril Campbell in craigavon 02840624936 or 07746108583

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
If you want to die. If the load is heavier than the car the trailer will push the car along if you want to stop in a hurry. It is recommended that you do not exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the car and never over 100%

but it also depends on drawbar weight tounge weight think its called, thats obviously how you can pull more weight than vehicle weighs. but usually not the case for cars, more for trucks and stuff. you get weight transfer to the towing vehicle

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
There are different ways of reading the laws or guidelines as stated above

Ive just worked out our vehicles

Category B License-

* Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

* As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

Further Expansion on the second point above-

* Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Maximum Authorised Mass-

* The term maximum authorised mass (MAM), used in the context of driving licences, is the maximum weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely while used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight (GVW) or permissible maximum weight. It will be listed in the owner’s manual and is normally shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle. The plate or sticker may also show a gross train weight (GTW).

So now to the weights-

* 2004 Audi A4 (B6) 1.9 TDi Quattro
o Unladen Weight: 1430kg
* Brian James Minno
o Load Capacity: 1200 kg
o Trailer Weight: 400kg
o Gross Weight/MAM: 1600kg

* This gives a total of 3030kg, however the MAM of the trailer exceeds that of the towing vehicle.

Back to the drawing board-

* Now back to the second point listed under Category B Licenses
o Audi: 1430kg
o Trailer: 400kg
o Midget: 850kg
* We now have a total of 1250kg on the trailer (accounting for straps, full tank of fuel, boot full of tools and spares)
* 1430kg - 1250kg = 180kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

Apply the same to the Van-

o Vauxhall Movano 3500: 1621kg (shocking, i know, do check the owners manual though)
* Going by the original calculation this would equal 3221kg - so below the limit and legal by 21 kg
* We now have a total of 1250kg on the trailer (accounting for straps, full tank of fuel, boot full of tools and spares)
* 1621kg - 1250kg = 371kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

Apply the same to the Discovery-

o 94 Land Rover Discovery 200 TDI: 2012kg (400kg heavier than the bloody van)
* Going by the original calculation this would equal 3612kg - so above the limit by 112kg
* 2012kg - 1250kg = 762kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
There are different ways of reading the laws or guidelines as stated above

Ive just worked out our vehicles

Category B License-

* Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

* As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

Further Expansion on the second point above-

* Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Maximum Authorised Mass-

* The term maximum authorised mass (MAM), used in the context of driving licences, is the maximum weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely while used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight (GVW) or permissible maximum weight. It will be listed in the owner’s manual and is normally shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle. The plate or sticker may also show a gross train weight (GTW).

So now to the weights-

* 2004 Audi A4 (B6) 1.9 TDi Quattro
o Unladen Weight: 1430kg
* Brian James Minno
o Load Capacity: 1200 kg
o Trailer Weight: 400kg
o Gross Weight/MAM: 1600kg

* This gives a total of 3030kg, however the MAM of the trailer exceeds that of the towing vehicle.

Back to the drawing board-

o Audi: 1430kg
* 1430kg - 1250kg = 180kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

Apply the same to the Van-

o Vauxhall Movano 3500: 1621kg (shocking, i know, do check the owners manual though)
* Going by the original calculation this would equal 3221kg - so below the limit and legal by 21 kg
* 1621kg - 1250kg = 371kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

Apply the same to the Discovery-

o 94 Land Rover Discovery 200 TDI: 2012kg (400kg heavier than the bloody van)
* Going by the original calculation this would equal 3612kg - so above the limit by 112kg
* 2012kg - 1250kg = 762kg shy of the limit, and therefore legal

pete how the **** are you not working for nasa! your the brains of rms :party:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
i wouldnt say that at all

But i cant sleep at night as I am always doodling and thinking of ways to improve the competition cars even down to pipe routing and weight or components/fasteners

Anyway, its basic reading and math

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
i wouldnt say that at all

But i cant sleep at night as I am always doodling and thinking of ways to improve the competition cars even down to pipe routing and weight or components/fasteners

Anyway, its basic reading and math

lol, if you are enjoying figuring out the hatefull regulations, i have a wee task for ya lol ... find out what my dodge ram can pull on 5th wheel and on ball hitch! that opens up a whole new can of worms, fuel types, taco graphs and hgv licences :worried:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
lol, if you are enjoying figuring out the hatefull regulations, i have a wee task for ya lol ... find out what my dodge ram can pull on 5th wheel and on ball hitch! that opens up a whole new can of worms, fuel types, taco graphs and hgv licences :worried:

Nah. You're alright. Gonna be selfish as it bares no relation to anything I will need to do until I move to the states and get a dually and a 40 ft gooseneck race trailer.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Nah. You're alright. Gonna be selfish as it bares no relation to anything I will need to do until I move to the states and get a dually and a 40 ft gooseneck race trailer.

just to sum up pete my vivaro i think is about 1600kg, trailer 1200kg and a load of 700kg would i be legal to drive with such load? does that make up the MAM of 3500kg or have i got it all wrong :confounded:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Say a Vivaro's Curb weight (unladen weight) was 1600 kg

Your trailer was 1200kg (which is a bloody heavy trailer

And the load on the trailer was 700kg

the total would be 3500kg and therefore borderline illegal going by the second description of Class B license.

Google the make and model of your trailer and find out its gross weight (ie the designed maximum load + trailer weight)

providing the MAM (gross weight of your trailer does not exceed the stated unladen weight (curb weight) of the vivaro, then you can steer away without a license, providing the total (Vivaro Curb weight + Trailer Gross weight) doesnt exceed 3500kg

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Vivaro Curb Weight is between 1710kg and 1928kg depending on model

http://www.findvauxhall.co.uk/NEW_brochures/NEW_vauxhallvans_vivaro_movano_specifications.pdf

so without grey areas you can tow a trailer with a MAM (gross weight) of between 1572kg and 1709kg

ahh it was all gobblygook before you jumped on it mate! (y) aye i looked up maybe got it wrong its a nugent twin axle 10x5'9.. theres a lighter one there buts its not breaked so need that sorted! just keep me right as ive the van, trailer and a compact tractor to pick up at some stage next week or week after but your help is great pete! like i said before your the brains of rms (y)
if only there was a rms tip jar you would be worth a fortune :party:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.