Pics of replacing broken spring on a Mondeo

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Hi there - any advice would be appreciated. Got into my Mondeo this morning after it had been sitting for a couple of weeks and heard a loud bang as I sat down into it. Thought it might have been the discs breaking their seal onto the pads. But as I was driving it there was a scraping noise when I turn the wheel left. So got under the arches and saw this!?!? 8o| :worried:

DSCF0001-4.jpg

DSCF0003-4.jpg

This is what the other side looks like:

DSCF0002-6.jpg

I reckon that its a broken spring, but just wanted a second opinion from RMS before I start taking the strut out of the car. Must go and buy those new spring compressors I keep promising myself!!!

Cheers guys! ;)

pimpslap

RMS Member
If its a new shape Mondeo its very common for them to break Springs.

You need to grind the spring in half to get room to remove it.

Lee

RMS Regular
broken spring

As said above this is quite common in the new shape mondeo ie 00/01 onwards. The same thing happened my mothers car, but it i think it was due to hitting a bump to hard. It resulted in an awful knocking noise in this case. So yea tis probably a broken spring(y)

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
Thanks guys! Yeah she is an '01 TDI (new shape) - another Fix Or Repair Daily to add to the list then!!! Good to know that it is common on these cars - I thought that maybe I'd put on too much xmas weight lol!!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Common enough problem, I know someone else who had the same problem. Looks like the bottom coil has broken half way around (n)

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
Appreciate all the replies! I'm amazed how many others have seen this on these cars!! I've just done the bushes in the rear beam - managed to get a contact in Knockdene to sell me an exchange unit with the new bushes fitted already - so was a real easy bolt out and in job.

It does look like the bottom coil has broke - so I'll be taking my time getting the strut out as I don't want the spring to go awol! Can't see there being enough room to get a compressor in before I remove the strut - but I'll post up some WIP pics next weekend for ye's!!

Thanks again, your replies are much appreciated!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
michelinman;745888managed to get a contact in Knockdene to sell me an exchange unit with the new bushes fitted already[/quote said:
Lol, it always was, and will be Knockdene! None of this Lindsays caper :p.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Heard rear bushes are another common problem alright!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
if ur lookin a new spring should be colours painted on the old one to reference off cos there's quite a few different ratings on em, either that or have ur chassis no to hand

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
if ur lookin a new spring should be colours painted on the old one to reference off cos there's quite a few different ratings on em, either that or have ur chassis no to hand

Thanks mate! Will take the old one with me and the chassis no.! (y) Back to good 'ol Knockdene again!:cool:

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
if your replacing a spring, always replace the other side also! always replace suspension items in pairs! if you have had an accident and only 1 has been replaced, well if the insurance accessor see's this, 99% of the time they will tell you hard chese and leave you to pay for it your self!

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
if your replacing a spring, always replace the other side also! always replace suspension items in pairs! if you have had an accident and only 1 has been replaced, well if the insurance accessor see's this, 99% of the time they will tell you hard chese and leave you to pay for it your self!

Cheers Bibby - I was afraid of that TBH. Makes sense anyway - the other side is as likely to break if this is a common Mondeo issue. :relieved: I was just lucky it happened on my drive and not midway through a chicane!!:party:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
So got around to fixing this last weekend and here's some photos of how I did it...

Wheel off! (please excuse the filth, this car is my workhorse!)

DSCF0001-6.jpg

DSCF0002-8.jpg

Strut top cover removed. Also removed brake fluid reservoir cap, so that when I press the caliper in, the master cylinder doesn't turn inside out!

DSCF0003-5.jpg

Caliper off (2 bolts) and hung out of the way to stop flexible hose damage

DSCF0004-5.jpg

Disconnected brake hose, anti roll bar mount and abs sensor from strut/hub

DSCF0005-9.jpg

Loosened cv shaft nut

DSCF0010-3.jpg

Disconnect track rod end from hub

DSCF0011-4.jpg

After splintting bottom ball joint I carefully pulled out the cv and driveshaft and removed the strut top nuts

DSCF0009-5.jpg

Suspension assembly out!

DSCF0014-1.jpg

DSCF0013-1.jpg

mmm, broken spring anyone?!?!?!

DSCF0015-1.jpg

Had to grind the old spring to get it out!

DSCF0024-2.jpg

Compressing and fitting the new spring

DSCF0027-2.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029-2.jpg

Noticed a hole starting to form in the cv boot - so I replaced it too!! Marked the position of the cv on the drive shaft before removal.

DSCF0016-2.jpg

DSCF0017-1.jpg

DSCF0018-2.jpg

Scooped out old cv grease before packing with fresh stuff

DSCF0019-2.jpg

DSCF0020-1.jpg

Boot slid on and cv refitted

DSCF0021-2.jpg

DSCF0022-2.jpg

Secured on with industrial cable ties (I don't like the metal bands you normally get with boot)

DSCF0023-1.jpg

Driveshaft slid back into hub, strut top bolts aligned, bottom ball joint reseated (sorry couldn't take photos and fit this all at the same time!!!)

DSCF0030-2.jpg

New spring starting compressed in place (looks to be aligned and seated fine)

DSCF0031-2.jpg

Track rod end, anti roll bar, flex hose, caliper and abs sensor all refitted to hub

DSCF0032-3.jpg

Bottom ball joint reseated and pinch bolt nipped up

DSCF0034.jpg

Assmebly complete - time to double-check all is tight and re-fitted correctly

DSCF0035-1.jpg

Wheel on

DSCF0036-1.jpg

Job Done! Think I'm gonna have to do the discs soon, but I also have to replace the other spring as preventative maintenance so will do brakes at the same time too!

Cormac

RMS Regular
a job welldone..

i have one to do this weekend.. i dnt see the need to remove the whole strut assembly tho..theres a bolt have way down that allows you to seperate the top strut from the hub.. think ill try that.. ford springs must be quite weak cause i replaced a back spring on the same car no more than a month ago...

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
a job welldone..

i have one to do this weekend.. i dnt see the need to remove the whole strut assembly tho..theres a bolt have way down that allows you to seperate the top strut from the hub.. think ill try that.. ford springs must be quite weak cause i replaced a back spring on the same car no more than a month ago...

I was wondering that too if you just undo where the shock sits in the hub you dont have to undo track rods or bottom ball joint or caliper or go near the cv joint...usually a bugger to get off though!

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
a job welldone..

Cheers Cormac. I thought that too mate - until I tried to take the strut out of the hub carrier - f@cking impossible!!!!!!! There's just not enough travel in the bottom arm to pull the hub down far enough out of the bottom of the strut. Makes sense if you think that if the bolt ever came loose and the car was in the air on full suspension travel, you wouldn't want the strut to come out.

Fraid the only way lad is to take the whole thing out. Of course if you can manage to do it - take some pics please!!!

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
I was wondering that too if you just undo where the shock sits in the hub you dont have to undo track rods or bottom ball joint or caliper or go near the cv joint...usually a bugger to get off though!

See previous post. Thought it could be a easy job too until I tried it. TBH the caliper, ball joint and cv were pi$$ easy - I only had a bit of bother getting the bottom arm ball joint out - but a ball joint seperator and a crow bar sorted that!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
See previous post. Thought it could be a easy job too until I tried it. TBH the caliper, ball joint and cv were pi$$ easy - I only had a bit of bother getting the bottom arm ball joint out - but a ball joint seperator and a crow bar sorted that!

Fair enough, my da just got one of these so its helpful to know...

-Pete-

RMS Regular
that type of failure on that spring is nuts! its completely sheared off in a downward direction!!! it clearly broke when the spring compressed itself!! the metal they use for the springs must be ****e for that type of failure to happen. thats shocking seeing that picture!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
it's alot easier to remove the whole hub assembly, than to remove the one bolt and take the shock out!!!
for one reason, yes you can tap on the hub with a hammer to get the hub down, but getting it back on is a different story as the bottom arm, cv joint etc etc is all in your way and quite hard on a trolley jack to get a swing at to tap back up in!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Hit it a thump with a big hammer to get it out and use a big bar to lever the whole assembly down to fit the strut again, thats what I did with the Bora.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.