Horsepower And Torque Whats The Deal

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Torque will let you chug along all day long. But without power, you'll never accelerate.

As simple as you putting a wrench onto a wheel centre nut. You could easily generate 1000lbft of torque with say a 200lb person standing on a 5ft long bar.
But the car is never going to move very quickly.

Or if you put say a motorbike engine into a heavy vehicle. It might have all the power in the world. But unless it has some torque, it's never going to move in the first place.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
torque is the twisting force about an axis of rotation.

power is the rate at which work is done (as above somewhere)

(horse)power is 550 ft/lb per second or something like that

Andyrewww

Diesel cars generally have alot more torque than their counter-parts, bhp is how much power the car is putting out, e.g they have a longer revv range, torque is how much the car is going to pull to get to its maximum bhp, due to its shorter revv range.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
torque is where its at! for me, its all about the illusion of being fast!. after a certain speed, say 120mph, its not fun because it starts to get dangerous. so the fun part is getting there!. no replacement for displacement because big displacement usually means big torque, and big torque feels goooooood! add diesel to big displacement and you get mega torque that defys the laws of physics.... such as a 3 ton hillbilly pickup truck smashing the quarter mile faster than a yamaha r1 crotch rocket with much more bhp/ton. i love torque, its all about the illusion and that big acceleration surge u get when u floor it. im just not into stiring gears and screaming. lazy torque.com.
horses for courses, everybody has different preferences.

Stoney

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 Type R GT
SAMD

I didnt write it mate, but i know the guy who did, its a great way to explain it i agree

Mark_C

RMS Regular
torque is where its at! for me, its all about the illusion of being fast!. after a certain speed, say 120mph, its not fun because it starts to get dangerous. so the fun part is getting there!. no replacement for displacement because big displacement usually means big torque, and big torque feels goooooood! add diesel to big displacement and you get mega torque that defys the laws of physics.... such as a 3 ton hillbilly pickup truck smashing the quarter mile faster than a yamaha r1 crotch rocket with much more bhp/ton. i love torque, its all about the illusion and that big acceleration surge u get when u floor it. im just not into stiring gears and screaming. lazy torque.com.
horses for courses, everybody has different preferences.

Aye, but the R1 doesn't have to sit building boost - much faster in the real world.

A lightly breathed on sports tourer like a hyabusa or a ZZR1400 - and not much would see where they went.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
Aye, but the R1 doesn't have to sit building boost - much faster in the real world.

A lightly breathed on sports tourer like a hyabusa or a ZZR1400 - and not much would see where they went.

of course, lol, but you are missing the point.

johnm

RMS Regular
Sooooo, say your happy enough with the power you have. The only way to increase your torque would be via the gearing & wheels used??
I've lost everything after lunch to this thread!! (y)

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
OP
tbdevpaul
Drives
Hundeye
Sooooo, say your happy enough with the power you have. The only way to increase your torque would be via the gearing & wheels used??
I've lost everything after lunch to this thread!! (y)

I couldnt tell you John Im still Lost. I guess I like to be able to see and touch things so forces as such are harder for me to grasp. But I certainly understand it as a twisting force now and some of the analogies above are very helpful.

johnm

RMS Regular
Im exactly the same mate. Give me a spanner and point me at something and I'll figure it out eventually (although said spanner will probably do a couple of guest appearances on various walls)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
BHP ~ Torque x revs

Torque is what creates motion. BHP is a measure of the energy generated in the process. Same torque at higher revs = more power. Two sides of the same coin.

Hence why ideal torque curve is flat, which gives perfectly linear power as revs rise.

Most diesels have a big torque peak low down, then dips fast, hence no point reving most diesels.

Most n/a petrols have a fairly flat torque curve, hence peak power at peak revs. More aggressive cam = less torque low down and more torque at higher revs = all the power at the top.

A turbo increases torque in the low-mid range, then drops off again. Hence normally no point revving the nuts off a turbo petrol either, mid range torque is the deal there.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
All you needa know ;-)
vtak.gif

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.