Gav's Yaris GR

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
How many miles did you cover off? I've always wanted to do a eurotrip in one of my own cars, then sat down and worked out the fuel bill.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
nice one Gav - similar miles to what we did too......... you cant beat a bit road trip like that, and i bet the passes were great in that wee machine, i had to breathe in quite a few times with my large bum !!! :-O

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Absolutely love that wee car mate. Glad you got a proper spirited run in it. Not jealous at all :joy: .. Bet you're having 10x more fun in that than the QV! Apples and oranges really, but I know what I prefer!

Cheers, yeah it was more fun in that could definitely push it more and didn't have any fear of it throwing me off the side of the Alps or into a GT3 RS going round the Ring. Probably lapped quicker in it than I would've done in the QV.

Yes it's not as fast, doesn't sound the best and maybe doesn't look as good but it's 100% the right choice I made. Never got fed up of throwing gears at it up and down the hills, the auto blip works so well on the down shifts and the noise of the turbo never got boring 😂
Actually had a few people over asking about it or putting windows down and thumbs up, truckers included! Surprised me that!

How many miles did you cover off? I've always wanted to do a eurotrip in one of my own cars, then sat down and worked out the fuel bill.

That one was just under 2500miles. Car averaged 37mpg, not sure how much I spent on fuel as wasn't keeping track, 9 or 10 tanks at 60-80quid maybe?
The C63 used £2500 on the trip to Hungary and back, but sure that's half the fun.

It's actually not that dear to do, just getting out of NI is the expensive part. Tunnel is about 90quid one way, and the overnight ferries from Rotterdam/Amsterdam are actually cheaper than the 2hr Cairnryan ferries ffs. And a hundred times better equipped inside!

Accommodation can be found really cheap if not fussy, though as I'd the wife with me she wouldn't have been as happy as me with a wee travelodge or premier inn lol. Was nice to get a decent meal and spa or whatever at the end of a days driving though!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Accommodation can be found really cheap if not fussy, though as I'd the wife with me she wouldn't have been as happy as me with a wee travelodge or premier inn lol. Was nice to get a decent meal and spa or whatever at the end of a days driving though!

Wives are the problem - I'd sleep in the car if I had too :joy:

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Cheers, yeah it was more fun in that could definitely push it more and didn't have any fear of it throwing me off the side of the Alps or into a GT3 RS going round the Ring. Probably lapped quicker in it than I would've done in the QV.

Yes it's not as fast, doesn't sound the best and maybe doesn't look as good but it's 100% the right choice I made. Never got fed up of throwing gears at it up and down the hills, the auto blip works so well on the down shifts and the noise of the turbo never got boring 😂
Actually had a few people over asking about it or putting windows down and thumbs up, truckers included! Surprised me that!

That one was just under 2500miles. Car averaged 37mpg, not sure how much I spent on fuel as wasn't keeping track, 9 or 10 tanks at 60-80quid maybe?
The C63 used £2500 on the trip to Hungary and back, but sure that's half the fun.

It's actually not that dear to do, just getting out of NI is the expensive part. Tunnel is about 90quid one way, and the overnight ferries from Rotterdam/Amsterdam are actually cheaper than the 2hr Cairnryan ferries ffs. And a hundred times better equipped inside!

I watched your stories and you were not afraid to send it on round the mountain pass`s. I don't think i could do it without a crash barrier i think i would get to hung up on there not being one and go off the side.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I watched your stories and you were not afraid to send it on round the mountain pass`s. I don't think i could do it without a crash barrier i think i would get to hung up on there not being one and go off the side.

Lol to be fair its always in the back of my mind. There were 2 lads in a Leon on a road trip came off the side and died a few years ago just before we got there and we were well warned. Would be easy done if messing about!

I kept traction control on just in case as don't know the car well enough yet. Some craic though 😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Wives are the problem - I'd sleep in the car if I had too :joy:
Slept in the car at the nordschlife, wasn't a deliberate decision tbh, didn't know there was a 'Ferrari Days' event on at the main circuit and there was just no accommodation available at all. Loved it tbh, so much class stuff around, racing up and down the road outside the circuit past the petrol station until 4 or 5 in the morning. I was just leaning on the front wing of my 155 watching it all instead of trying to sleep. Utterly brilliant!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Time for the RR to go and the Yaris’s big brother, the Hilux GR, to be bought for towing duties and field excursions instead… 😂

1698254881020.jpeg

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Lol to be fair its always in the back of my mind. There were 2 lads in a Leon on a road trip came off the side and died a few years ago just before we got there and we were well warned. Would be easy done if messing about!

I kept traction control on just in case as don't know the car well enough yet. Some craic though 😂

the first pass we hit..... and on the first few corners of it !! there was a big bunch of flowers right on the edge of the road, was a sobering thought/sight.

i must say on some of the passes when you are on the cliff edge side i had very sweaty palms and was feeling a bit nauseous.... but i am not good with heights which didn't help +o(

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
the first pass we hit..... and on the first few corners of it !! there was a big bunch of flowers right on the edge of the road, was a sobering thought/sight.

i must say on some of the passes when you are on the cliff edge side i had very sweaty palms and was feeling a bit nauseous.... but i am not good with heights which didn't help +o(

Definitely tightens you when you see the flowers!
Always prefer caning it up a pass rather than down as at least then if you do lose it, it's normally just a cliff face or inside wall you whack rather than risking going over!

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Finally got the Yaris round Kirkistown at the weekend there. Only thing I done in prep was stick some DS2500 pads in the front, they're pretty good out of the box in the braking front with just additional cooling required to protect the caliper boots.

Have ordered the shims to protect the boots and will do fluid and stainless hoses over winter here, maybe some decent track rubber as well.

Car was lapping nearly as quick as the Alfa did, I reckon I can go quicker with practice so that's next year's challenge.

Looking forward to some winter snow now to get out and enjoy it even more

Thanks to @Graham and @Rigger for some of the below photos, great job 👍🏻

416223-2b3e2ec3f58c00e210992f1efc261ba7.jpeg
416230-2411e1705a020dce54be3493f5d09247.jpeg
Screenshot_20231107_100723_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_100704_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_100754_Gallery.jpg

JT079

RMS Regular
Drive it as it was designed. Love this Gav. I must put a plan together for a road trip next year.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Heading back to work today so been flat out putting the miles on this all week.

Down the Ards peninsula, up the Dromara hills and then yesterday up the hills back of Warrenpoint and then across to the Cooley peninsula a rip. Some of the roads not in great condition after the floods, but wee car batters through alright 😂
20231108_133136.jpg
20231110_152028.jpg
20231110_152210.jpg
20231111_145158.jpg
20231111_145639.jpg
20231111_162249.jpg
20231111_165601.jpg
20231111_170121.jpg
20231111_170754.jpg
20231111_171041.jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Got the Akrapovic bought in the Black Friday sales, not a big of a discount as I'd have liked but was better than paying full price.

Thought while I was taking the old one off I'd strip the arch liners and undertrays and lash a load of underseal on there as they're not protected from factory and lots are showing signs of corrosion already, especially on lower arms. Went with Bilt Hamber UC, nice and easy sprayed on.

New exhaust stuck on including the GPF delete link pipe. The exhaust itself is proper light, 7kg I think I read? Can lift it with one finger. So easy to fit everything lined up straight away and seems decent quality. Hardest part was getting the old exhaust rubbers off 😂

It's loud. Louder than I thought it would be 😬😂 Few wee pops and bangs which is nice. Will try and get a video at some point over Xmas. If it was a daily it would probably get annoying but it's not so all good.

20231216_181011.jpg
20231217_112528.jpg
20231217_114342.jpg
20231219_130617.jpg
20231216_151917.jpg
20231216_151929.jpg
20231216_151942.jpg
20231219_143310.jpg
20231219_144306.jpg
20231219_144600.jpg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Got the Akrapovic bought in the Black Friday sales, not a big of a discount as I'd have liked but was better than paying full price.

Thought while I was taking the old one off I'd strip the arch liners and undertrays and lash a load of underseal on there as they're not protected from factory and lots are showing signs of corrosion already, especially on lower arms. Went with Bilt Hamber UC, nice and easy sprayed on.

New exhaust stuck on including the GPF delete link pipe. The exhaust itself is proper light, 7kg I think I read? Can lift it with one finger. So easy to fit everything lined up straight away and seems decent quality. Hardest part was getting the old exhaust rubbers off 😂

It's loud. Louder than I thought it would be 😬😂 Few wee pops and bangs which is nice. Will try and get a video at some point over Xmas. If it was a daily it would probably get annoying but it's not so all good.

View attachment 420231View attachment 420232View attachment 420233View attachment 420234View attachment 420235View attachment 420236View attachment 420237View attachment 420239View attachment 420240View attachment 420241
Must be nice to have found exhaust bolts that weren’t absolutely buggered lol A bit too loud when fitted usually works out about right by the time it beds in I usually think.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything