Driving on an Irish licence

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

autodave

RMS Regular
Hi,
I've a quick question for ye all. I was stopped at a checkpoint recently. police were checking for tax etc. The police officer asked to see my licence and I produced my ROI licence.
I was asked do I live in Northern Ireland and i said yes. It was the pointed out to me that if I lived here for more than 12 months I had to change my licence to a Northern Irish licence. As far as I knew an EU driving licence was valid anywhere in EU. I had no idea that I need to exchange my drivng licence.
I had a look on direct.gov.uk. This says you have to be living in UK for 12months BEFORE you can exchange you driving licence. It also says this;

Residents

If you have a valid community licence, this will authorise you to drive in GB for the period set out below. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British one at any time.
Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

• until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Now I'm far from 70 years of age, so whats the story. Have I been misinformed?

David

bazza2541

RMS Regular
Drives
Isuzu Trooper
after 12 months you must change to a uk /ni driving licence as roi is an other country
same as spain canada us after a year you must apply for the licence of that country

Sorry sir that is not true. I have been driving on my Noirthern licence in ROI for seven years now and despite numerous requests from Gardai to change it I have not done so. It is not enforcable under european law. And besides you stand a better chance of getting off with minor infractions.

therock

RMS Regular
You are correct reference the "not requiring an NI license". Getting off with offences though, you are not. Probably more liable to arrest for Driving offences than any ni driver

bazza2541

RMS Regular
Drives
Isuzu Trooper
Well, I.ve never been arrested in ROI and never got points but have had a few fines that supposedly carried points. The Gardai said they would hold the points until I changed my licence, so I said fine. ;)

bazza2541

RMS Regular
Drives
Isuzu Trooper
No I live in the South, driving on a Northern licence. Couple of my workmates are living in the South driving on English licences with the same craic.

autodave

RMS Regular
OP
autodave
Im not looking to get away with anything by keeping my roi licence. But id rather keep it if i dont haveto change it to NI licence. Dont have timeto be messing about changing over licences when Im not sure how long Il be living in NI anyway. Just wondering if I have to change it. if I dont I wont bother. There must be a definitive answer from somone on here, member of traffic corp or something.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.