Chemically cleaning an engine block

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Bryan, i actually did a Rover V8 block a few years ago and he came up perfectly..

I used.. MR Muscle oven cleaner... it foams up, you let it dwell and then hit it with the hot washer about 90degrees... came up perfect.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
electrolytic cleaning is a great job but as an alternative this is what the glass bead blasting does to steel and aluminium. (ps I don't work there anymore incase anyone thinks i'm touting for work lol)
Rust Busters Int LTD --click on the pics--

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Will also throw in that RustBusters have done a brave bit for us and always been fantastic - even when we had problems with the finish, they sorted it out without hesitation.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
throw it up to michael @ polishedalloys lol he'l bring it back like a hotrod engine chromed out loll

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Put it in your bath

fill the bath up over the top of the block

add some washing powder

get a heavy duty battery, and a sheet of steel

attach the positive to the sheet of steel and slide down one side of the bath

attach the negative to the block

dont allow them to touch

attach a good charger to the battery to keep it topped up

Sit back and watch all the crap float off the block,

I use a smaller version of this for cleaning calipers and engine parts as it is non-destructive to metal unless you are using salt

when removing, rinse in cold water and dry immediately

I know this is an old thread but I've rigged this method up to clean some other engine parts for my V8 (yes I'm still at it :p). Is it safe to leave this rig to do its magic overnight??

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
yes dude, it is,

I have had a smaller version running for weeks at a time doing carbs.

Although the washing powder was nowhere near as good as the baking soda.

Not enough power in a 12v battery or the charger to cause fires or the likes. As i say though, ive had a bucket in the garage going for weeks at a time with no issues. Chargers generally dies before anything else happens

Do however dry and grease/wd-40 everything once removed otherwise its a nightmare

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Cheers... it's only a small basin I have it rigged up with to do valve springs and rocker arms etc.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I attempted to use the dishwasher earlier to clean the valve springs but she arrived back before the cycle had finished :p

That's why I have to find an alternative method.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Here's some of the results with using that electrolosys method above. The top rocker assembly was in the bath overnight and went in exactly as the bottom one! I can't believe how well this works and why I didn't try it sooner!

Attachments

• Cleaning.jpg
    Cleaning.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 224

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
its awesome isn't it?

Nice results there, took me a few attempts to get the right concoction - adding lemon juice works wonders

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I must try that on a few bits I have. Fantastic result for free. I assume there is no scrubbing involved with the electrolysis thing? Just let it do its thing?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.