Changes to MOT Test due in Jan 2012

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Seen this on another forum and thought I'd throw it up (y)

From the looks of it an all-out ban on HIDs, Steering wheels with no airbags, and Lamin-X stuff.

Not sure how the remap thing will work?

There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:
:innocent: Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour
(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):
:innocent: Device not operating.
(b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):
Device not operating.

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
:innocent: Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

(by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring
:innocent: Wiring insecure or not adequately secured.
(b) Wiring deteriorated.
(c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation

and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:
Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag:
:innocent: Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems:
SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.

Some of the above won't be popular with some around here I know, but VOSA have confirmed that the necessary changes to the MOT test schedule will be introduced and from 1st January 2012 vehicles that fall foul of the new requirements will fail the test.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
How will they tell of illegal engine performance? rolling road I doubt, software mayeb :confounded: Will they be checking insurance?

Surely if it is insurance declared then it should be ok?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Oh so it'll fail on the airbag light too. TBH the above doesn't seem too outlandish bar the remap bit. How the hell are they going to know whether it's been mapped or not? Rolling road it? :p

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
great more things to look out for. See if you had an engine bay that was wire tucked would they class that as insecure wiring ?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
OP
Gavlar
Unless they mean those tuning boxes then I have no idea how they'll test for a remap lol

You wonder how far they'll extend "illegal engine modifications" too, I mean would anything aftermarket fail? dumpvalve etc

Would the Safety Belt with Pretensioners missing not rule out bucket seat and harness set ups?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Good point about the wire tucking, what about heavily tuned road cars which have obviously been changed? :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As long as it's not illegal then it'll be sweet. The definition of 'illegal' will be an interesting one, the first post just seems to be speculation that illegal = not OEM...

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
6.1.9 Engine performance:
:innocent: Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:
7.1.5. Airbag:
7.1.6. SRS Systems:

The above should be interestin the Megablade come MOT time... :confounded:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sounds like someones trying to cause a ruffle more like with all that :p

How are they meant to know if a car comes with airbags or not on older stuff :confounded: Plus you might not be able to buy airbags for them anymore on some cars.

It'll be mainland if anything gets that and then we might have it 5 years later lol :p

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
How are they meant to know if a car comes with airbags or not on older stuff :confounded: Plus you might not be able to buy airbags for them anymore on some cars.

The way I'm looking at that one is, if a vehicle comes with an airbag as standard, but someone has replaced it with a rally style jobby or the likes, without an airbag....:confounded:? I think anyway.

They might just have info on computer based on the cars VIN to determine if they come with one standard.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
This all sounds sensible, especially the HID lights bit.

As for "illegal", that would be just that. Currently it is legal to remap a car, or fit aftermarket ECU, as long as insurance etc. is in place.

Unless someone plans to ban aftermarket ECU, I see no problem.

And clamping down on outright illegal mods is good, like bad HID conversions, but you would have thought they already did that.

Suspect there may be new EU "safety laws" behind this which we have not seen yet.

Someone really needs to clamp down on the EU, and bring legislation back to our elected parliament, ffs... ^o)

How will they tell of illegal engine performance?

Well, at the moment there is no such thing as "illegal" engine performance modifications (short of engine sticking out of the bonnet, etc.).

I would assume a quick check on the engine management port would tell them all they needed to know if they wanted to.

The Norwegians do road side spot checks of engine performance for tax reasons (cars there are taxed by horsepower and capacity, among other things). By they are crazy people :grinning:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Alot of the stuff thats being introduced is for VOSA and not DVA, there will be some changes, but most of the suggestions made, we are already testing

However, DSCT will be back in by Feb 2012....

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Alot of the stuff thats being introduced is for VOSA and not DVA, there will be some changes, but most of the suggestions made, we are already testing

However, DSCT will be back in by Feb 2012....

?????

Sorry?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Probably not, as with every other illegal mod, these guys know whats accepted for MOT and adjust the car to suit, by the time the sun sets that night the car has its dangerous / illegal mods done again

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Opps, sorry Diesel Smoke and Cat Testing
Oh is that coming back the same as before or have they adjusted it not to blow peoples engines this time?! :p

I presume this is talk about aftermarket rubbish HID's and not OEM ones :confounded:

Gavlar

RMS Regular
OP
Gavlar
Oh is that coming back the same as before or have they adjusted it not to blow peoples engines this time?! :p

I presume this is talk about aftermarket rubbish HID's and not OEM ones :confounded:

Yea from what I've heard they're training technicians to spot wrongly fitted HID kits

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
I'd love to know how they're going to test for remaps. A good few of my Vauxhalls rolling roaded above their listed performance. 2.0DTi roaded to 108hp standard, 1.8VVT Vectra roaded 161.1hp, totally standard and they're supposed to be 140hp.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
OP
Gavlar
I'd love to know how they're going to test for remaps. A good few of my Vauxhalls rolling roaded above their listed performance. 2.0DTi roaded to 108hp standard, 1.8VVT Vectra roaded 161.1hp, totally standard and they're supposed to be 140hp.

True. Even the cars that came with more than the listed performance figures from factory. ie: GTRs having differing performance figures

Mark_C

RMS Regular
TBF, the only people who will worry about that are people who spend all day reading performance figures from tables in magazines, and brand anoraks. I'd say they're only going to be worried about reek boxes for the sake of some new euro emissions standards.

Cro

RMS Regular
I thought it would have been more the ebay chip types, where people have soldered in resistors for an extra billion horspower.

Things like having an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag might be a bit much though.

Bring in a ban on all crap fitted hid kits, super annoying!

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Never seen a problem with HIDs in projectors... the non projector boys take the piss and blind everyone though.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.