Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I have just merged many similar MOT question threads into this one - if you have a query ask it in here :grinning:

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Inlet manifold gasket is leaking, idle sounds like a small misfire on start up/cold. I can't get it fixed until Saturday but my MOT is on Friday, anyone know if this will screw my emmissions up? Or will they fail for having a misfire?

Ge0rge

Banned
if its just on start up then give her a good long drive before hand? doubt very much a slight missfire would effect it unless its running on 3 cylinders and your burning the clutch out it to get it movin.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
if its just on start up then give her a good long drive before hand? doubt very much a slight missfire would effect it unless its running on 3 cylinders and your burning the clutch out it to get it movin.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Inlet manifold gasket is leaking, idle sounds like a small misfire on start up/cold. I can't get it fixed until Saturday but my MOT is on Friday, anyone know if this will screw my emmissions up? Or will they fail for having a misfire?

A missfire of any kind will of course have an adverse effect on emissions, as will air leaks. Only way to tell how much is with an emissions test, as it will depend on how bad it is.
But it wont take much to make it quite bad.

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
incase anybody has them, 2 things i failed on were
jdm tow hook-"sharp exterior object"
square plate- "only allowed on import vehicles"

2 minor things i didnt realise would be failures as i have passed with them before so might save somebody a few bob not having to do a retest

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
JDM Tow hook? as in
jdm-yo-towhook.jpg

is it because yours sticks out past the bumper :/

New square plates werent allowed for non imports.. mine past earlier this year with one :laughing:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
What :confounded: That sounds like a very sad person indeed :confounded: Sure jeeps have them and as long as they are displayed properly with sizes/dimensions, there is no reason :confounded: Unless of course you put a smaller style import plate on with the slightly smaller charcaters (which some imports can get away with if not enough space) when there was plenty of room?

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
Anyone passed mot with a hydro set up ? And if so how does the mot center test the suspension if it can always change :confounded:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I'd be querying that one. Square plates do look wrong on almost every car, but as long as the letters and spacing etc are correct, they are totally legal plates.

dazz a555

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320i Sport
I'd be querying that one. Square plates do look wrong on almost every car, but as long as the letters and spacing etc are correct, they are totally legal plates.

i will second that.
Have put a couple of uk cars through with motorbike size plates with no issue

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There is nothing illegal about square plates. They may look daft, but they are not illegal, and there are many UK vehicles with them. Some Evo's, Alfas, motorbikes, Land rovers and no doubt others.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Police might stop you, fashion police.. lol.

+1 about the window reg, got a focus through with no window power (y)

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
yea see they told me on the first test they werent legal, i thought it was rubbish and armo in streetracer who made me them said they are 100% legal, but they are import plates so im assuming the font is a tiny bit smaller, still a legal size but only legal on imports......
how is a speed camera to know if i have a jdm or ukdm engine under the bonnet ffs as there are no exterior differences,
i wasnt getting my certificate on my retest until i had a rectangle plate so i just shot down the road about 500meters, paid a fiver for a normal plate to get my m.o.t and keep them quiet

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
perfectly legal sir
Sorry, just presuming the characters on the bike plate will automatically be smaller and i think thats where the legalities come in as they are usually smaller and not allowed to be that small on a car?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The font/spacing is either legal or illegal. There really isnt much grey area.

And speed cameras dont do people for number plates, they nab people for driving a little bit over the limit.