Are Aftermarket Hid's Illegal Now?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Would it be a case of if a car has passed SVA like that they will be given a by ball (if clearly a factory item), or is there suddenly cars all over the country that are now fooked regardless? :confounded:

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
Would it be a case of if a car has passed SVA like that they will be given a by ball (if clearly a factory item), or is there suddenly cars all over the country that are now fooked regardless? :confounded:
I'd go for the latter, they seem to be coming down hard, regardless of previous tests past

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There's going to have to be some discretion shown for factory fitted xenons without the other two parts imo. In general, this rule can't come in quick enough, it's one of the most annoying things on the road at the minute. There's a MK2 Golf kicking around Bangor with them fitted and a lighthouse driving towards you would be less dazzling. I also hope the PSNI will be enforcing this rule change to combat against those that intend on swapping out their HID's just to get through MOT.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
PSNI wont be, but enforcement will.

Its in construction and use regs, this isn't something that DVA has dreamed up to annoy the motorist

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
JCLC, is the MOT handbook for the mainland the same as the one for NI? Some of the regulations over HID's can be a little vague to say the least.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's going to have to be some discretion shown for factory fitted xenons without the other two parts imo. In general, this rule can't come in quick enough, it's one of the most annoying things on the road at the minute. There's a MK2 Golf kicking around Bangor with them fitted and a lighthouse driving towards you would be less dazzling. I also hope the PSNI will be enforcing this rule change to combat against those that intend on swapping out their HID's just to get through MOT.

Sticking HID's on something like a MK2 Golf should land you 3 points, a fine and 5 swift boots to the ballericks.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
this rule can't come in quick enough, it's one of the most annoying things on the road at the minute. There's a MK2 Golf kicking around Bangor with them fitted and a lighthouse driving towards you would be less dazzling. I also hope the PSNI will be enforcing this rule change to combat against those that intend on swapping out their HID's just to get through MOT.

Couldn't agree more - I despise them, so many idiots driving around with badly aligned HID's that are a total and utter nuisance. There used to be some numpty around East Belfast with a Celica and some dodgy HID's, I would be amazed if he hasn't caused an accident with them.

Great news that these will be getting panned, and my criticism isn't across the board, some people have the sense to fit subtle kits and have them installed properly, but more often than not they are a disaster.

dannyfawcett

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3, 1.6 hat
So what happens then if they do those random MOT spot checks and a person has the kits in? fine? Points? No insurance?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Flyer came through with MOT reminder for my missus motor. If you have aftermarket HID's, your ballix'd
New parts of the test from May 2012:
Some of the proposed 22 new requirements:
Hazard warning lamps and dashboard information lights; headlamp main beam; high intensity discharge headlamps, washing and levelling system; electrical socket for trailers; steering, suspension, brake and transmission dust covers/gaiters; steering wheel locking mechanism; electronic power steering and malfunction indicator lamp; steering and brake fluid levels; electronic parking brake and electronic braking systems malfunction indicator lamp; electronic stability control system; additional braking devices; tyre pressure monitoring systems; supplementary restraint systems; driver’s seat adjustment mechanism; tow-bar assembly; emission control systems, an increase of brake efficiency for cars first used on or after December 31, 2011 (from 50% to 58%).

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I'll be firing mine back in after mot but they're in projectors & lowered 2 knotches, couldn't go back to halogen now after seeing the light.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What car comes with factory xenons with no headlight washers Gee?

Lol at HIDs on a Mk2!

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Have seen that mk2 with HIDs, some cars handle them better than others. I know the pattern on my car with them is perfect but in my old Clio they were all over the place

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Got stopped at a checkpoint under the bridge by Springhill last night. PSNI and VOSA in attendance. Stopping every 5th ish car coming into Bangor. Checked Tax, tyres, MOT etc. VOSA man had all sorts of gubbins in the back of his van.

Do they have mobile exhaust sniffers here yet??? When i lived in England and had the Evo's they used to stop you and shove the sniffer up at every opportunity.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
i found the leon managed the hids very well perfect pattern and a few notices down id no bothers with it. the scooby takes abit of fiddling to get the bulbs to sit right which ive been meaning to do but then i havent driven it that much and have it on lowest setting. once i get it sorted ill be getitng alignment done

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.