Rust Treatment

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Sorry to hijack @Lyons ' thread (It's the best one coming up on the forum search) but I want to tackle some rust that's appeared on my arches and at the bottom of the sill.

In the absence of a mobile "Rust Away" service (a la Dents Away) who will do it for me, I'm assuming it's a case of:

- Remove all traces of rust
- Put on a rust treatment, some of which are mentioned above
- do any filling required
- sand down
- prime
- paint
(- repeat after 8-10 months :sob:) ?
View attachment 434066
An issue there is the stone chip at the sill area and getting it back to looking reasonably factory. Hard area to try and get everything cleaned back. I’d say the factory liner has rubbed and compromised the paint in the inner face.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sorry to hijack @Lyons ' thread (It's the best one coming up on the forum search) but I want to tackle some rust that's appeared on my arches and at the bottom of the sill.

In the absence of a mobile "Rust Away" service (a la Dents Away) who will do it for me, I'm assuming it's a case of:

- Remove all traces of rust
- Put on a rust treatment, some of which are mentioned above
- do any filling required
- sand down
- prime
- paint
(- repeat after 8-10 months :sob:) ?
View attachment 434066

I feel your pain. Kills me everytime I look at the Passat! I’m getting a couple of tins from @Woodcutter of the stuff he recommended previously, then going to wait until a long spell of decent weather.

Also need to get an angle grinder. I reckon I didn’t take enough off the surface previously, so am planning to take as much metal as possible this time!

Im also exploring the option of removing my wings to do the treatment off the car. I haven’t done much research yet, but in my head if replacement wings are easily done then it should be handy enough. Granted you don’t have that option it would appear.