Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

dddrrift

RMS Regular
went to halfords and got two washer jets and some tubing, t-pieced into the windscreen washers and duct taped the washers to my front bumper aimed at the lights, worked like a charm :grinning: since been removed in all of two minutes aswell lol

DC2 Davy

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM ITR
I've another headlight problem, my car has factory fitted hid's but i don't have either self leveller's or headlight washers, i know the washers can be sorted easy from reading above but anyone any idea's with the levelling thing??

How can they make all these standard cars fail for not having them??

Many Thanks

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've another headlight problem, my car has factory fitted hid's but i don't have either self leveller's or headlight washers, i know the washers can be sorted easy from reading above but anyone any idea's with the levelling thing??

How can they make all these standard cars fail for not having them??

Many Thanks

If you have sports suspension, self levelling is not required. So obviously you have sports suspension.

And how can they do it ? Because the government can screw us any time they like.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
they cant test the self levelling system, mine do it but iv removed the sensor on the arm so they actually do sweet F.A

PICS from today coming up... ;)

dddrrift

RMS Regular
voilaaaaa lol

Attachments

• dfgsdfgdf.jpg
    dfgsdfgdf.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 187

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Absolutely SUPERB! Bodgery at it's finest.

Did they do any ROFL-ing or was it all serious?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
the guy that took the test thought it was pretty funny, then his mate came over with a WTF face on him, they stared at it a while then when i made it to the ramp at the end there was 5 or 6 of them round it discussing i suppose if it should pass...lol

they squirted the washers about 10 times, worked every time :p

so anyone that doesnt wana ruin their smoothed bumper... £8 in halfrauds will see you through :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sticking it to the MOT man like a sir (y) I tippeth my hat at your valiant effort :cool:

They were obviously hoping it would **** up and then point and laugh at you Nelson style :p

Hope you did a burn out in their face on the way out whilst giving it a sideways extended middle finger :party:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Sticking it to the MOT man like a sir (y) I tippeth my hat at your valiant effort :cool:

They were obviously hoping it would **** up and then point and laugh at you Nelson style :p

Hope you did a burn out in their face on the way out whilst giving it a sideways extended middle finger :party:

yeah i guess so, think every tester in the building had a go a squirtin them!lol

sidewaysness was involved on the exit.... yes :grinning: lol

DC2 Davy

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM ITR
Just thought i'd let you's know how the mot retest went this morning, well it failed again lol, i had a letter from honda stating the car came with hid's as standard and that the self leveling and headlight washers where never fitted as standard and cant be retro fitted, i also had a section off the dva website on headlights stating "Vechicles with HID or LED dipped beam headlights may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system, Where such system's are fitted, they must work, however it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of the self levelling systems" so then i was hit with the following....

File1.jpg

File.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
clearly Tony Morrison is a ballbag

VOSA have seen sense and changed their wording.

DVA MOT2 wording is still "must" be fitted.

Not may be fitted.

The car makers, the AA, RAC etc really need to press this matter and make these idiots admit how stupid they are.

What next, are we going to have to retrofit ABS to every car ? retrofit all sorts of nonsense for any new rules ?

In the past few weeks Ive seen cars PASS an MOT with dangerously corroded brake discs, brake pads that have come away from their backing plates, squashed metal brake pipes etc etc.

And they are actually failing cars with no headlight washers ?

What planet are these people living on ?????

dddrrift

RMS Regular
do what i did to get it through, i know its not the point but hey, u need an mot!lol

DC2 Davy

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM ITR
Well i got it mot'd the following week, ended up getting wiring made to a seperate switch on dash for normal h7 bulbs which had to be grinded and cut to sit correctly in place, i was feed up arguing with them, the rest off the car is very well maintained but yet these stupid rules cause so much hassle, i'd agree to putting the washers on bumper for hid's, that wasn't the problem but they knew it had no selfleveller's which i didn't want to go down the line of mocking up to pass, thanks folks

brendy

RMS Regular
Would it not be easier fitting standard 60w halogen bulbs for the test as the guide defines hids as taking a few seconds to achieve full brightness. No Hids, no squirties required.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Shows what they know if thats what happened, as the 'sports suspension' in your car bypasses that point in the rukes. Squirty is all you should have got pulled on.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Just a quick wee question.. I've had my car de-wipered for a right while now but with the MOT coming up i fitted the rear wiper again. It works ok but i can't get the spray to work as it just leaks everywhere (very common problem with all Ibiza/Fabia models) I can try and get it fixed but should that not be possible before the test, i'm assuming it will fail? If i de-wipered the car again would it fail or pass? Can't remember what exactly it was referring to but i read something a few months ago about if it isn't there then it can't fail for not working, not sure if this is relevant?