Driving a car with no MOT?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
As title, bought car from a friend car failed mot on bushes (common problem) but I've bought the car off him few days now.

I've switched insurance and there's tax on the car just no mot.

With being new owner and about to book mot and upgrade the bushes would I be done by the police and points etc? Or would I be given a byeball?

Joe

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I was in this position last year. My Golf came from scotland so I didn't have a reminder sent through and it ran out. I asked a PSNI officer if there was any grace period and he said you either have it or you don't. Had to keep the car grounded till it was MOT'd.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
There is a fixed penalty notice of £60 and NO points....
Really? I always thought no MOT carried points or did that change? :confounded:

No of course you cant drive without MOT, its a legal requirement unless you are taking it to an arranged MOT test. Plus if you have an accident whilst on the road and have no MOT, your insurer will 99% likely wash their hands of you :broken_heart:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
I thought like tax, u have a grace period as such. Got few funny looks yesterday from police and I didn't stick around, home and Parker up and that's were itl be staying until mot (n)

wat about bringing it to mechanic?

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Thats a myth unless actually in your insurance fine print, and no, you are not exempt from MOT just because you bought the car

Most motor policies only cover your car whilst it is in a roadworthy state, or within the Law.

It is illegal to drive a car on the road without a Valid MOT, therefore your insurance is also invalid.

In saying that, i've seen lots of cases of accidents in motors just out of MOT and Insurance has paid out.

Keith

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
There is no grace period for tax either, with MOT waiting times at the lowest ever, and the ability to MOT a car 28 days early, there really is no excuse for driving a car without MOT

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
There is no grace period for tax either, with MOT waiting times at the lowest ever, and the ability to MOT a car 28 days early, there really is no excuse for driving a car without MOT

You have just finished building a classic car into a brand new shell - months, maybe even years of work to getting ti how you want.

You gotta put some miles on it to make sure it is fit for the test.

What do you do, oh what do you do........

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
My mate realised he had no MOT on Monday afternoon when he went to tax his pickup...its only just turned 4 years old...he got a test booked first thing Tuesday morning so theres really no excuses for not getting a test if you really want one :laughing:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Cupra bushes bought, shut your mouth it's fine :p lol

I'm gona book mot tomor for Monday night.

Goya sneak to mechanics up the road lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Well in this case there is lol awaitin date and needing bushes done.

Still no excuse....

You have just finished building a classic car into a brand new shell - months, maybe even years of work to getting ti how you want.

If its fully rebuilt and right for the road, why the hell do you need to drive it to confirm its right for the road?? Cars come into us all the time, from small restorations to ground up - nut & bolt restorations, and never in 5 years of testing cars have I heard of someone saying I wanted to drive it to make sure its ok, usually they trailer them and let us tell them its ok before they even consider driving them.

mr-rs

you are covered to drive from your house to a test center. take a longer route or book at a center as far away as possable

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
NineK - book the MOT and do the shakedown on route :grinning:

Agree, there are no excuses - I've modified my emerald ecu map whilst en-route to the test station and then inside after it failed the emissions on the first go

stevyg

RMS Regular
you are covered to drive from your house to a test center. take a longer route or book at a center as far away as possable

Yea you are covered to drive to a test centre BUT if you fail...you have to get it transported home :confounded:

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Nope. Ive had car's fail, asked the guys at the center if its legal to drive home, as long as it's straight home or to a garage, it's fine.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
no you dont, you can drive home afaik.
Nope, technically then it shouldnt be on the road as its 'not roadworthy', so you can only take it to a garage or to the test centre again...

So just 'book a garage appointment right after the test' that you failed ;):innocent::party:

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
thats just dumb why would they make that rule do they think everyone has a trailer and big truck to pull their car home lol everyone drives home after failing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.