Build Threads Worth Looking At...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Basically, I'm partial to sitting for hours on end at times like this (nearly 3.30am and I've nothing else to be doing) and reading through different build threads across the internet, be it Nissan's with subtle rebuilds or engine swaps, or balls out crazy turbo'd and modern engined classic stuff.

Basically, no 2 cars ever get built the same way, and I find it interesting to see the different levels or workmanship and cost involved in getting the same end result, meaning I'll look at the same transplant in the same model of car from a dozen different people, just to see the different methods.

Tonight's thread of choice was an American guy rebuilding an S13 with a 6.3 V8 LS3 engine which produces around 430bhp in stock form. His quality of work is fantastic in this "no expense spared" build from the ground up:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/385069-ls3-build-thread-s13-hatch-hate-v8.html

ls3exhaust79.jpg

240sxv852.jpg

The trip across the country consisting of 2400 odd miles was no doubt the ultimate test for both car and river, and with the problems he encountered, he definitely deserves a tip of the old flat cap:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/385069-ls3-build-thread-s13-hatch-hate-v8-8.html#post4264723
(Be warned, that is the longest post in the thread, but well worth 10 minutes of reading through...)

Truly awe-inspiring build and dedication in my opinion...

So what other builds out there deserve the time of day...?

Gambit

RMS Regular
i dont see any wires, all i see is a HUUUUUUGE V8 shoved in there!!

would love to have the talent,skill,time,money,space to be able to do something like that!!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Why didn't he do a wire tuck? So much neater

Dude u looked at that and thought... "wire tuck"?

Boy just dropped a ls3 into an s13 I wouldn't care if it had wires sticking outta drivers seat I'd kill to be able to build/own that lol

mattylol

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsubishi Evo 6
nicky that is a class find! i find myself up most nights doing the same looking hours and hours on end on peoples transformations, i am partial to fords and misty evos but will read anything!!

Did you ever look at the resto threads on detailing world? well worth a look aswell.

mattylol

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsubishi Evo 6
just wanted to say aswell wouldnt it be class to do that as a job! walk into work and to be able to put your own hard work into something that would be appricated and you would be able to see coming together rather than working on dead lines and with tight asses using crappy parts.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm not the only one that sits up at night reading all these build threads then :p Some of the engineering that goes into them deserves a lot of respect. Love it :grinning:

mattylol

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsubishi Evo 6
@ razor just reading through that thread now and......WOW makes me wish i had one of those!! lol great work indeed!

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Only flicked through that Saab build as I'm on the phone here, but that definitely looks like 1 to read through properly when I crack open the laptop.

Some very nice builds here already.

I'll have to post another 1 I spent slot of time reading later too. It's another S13, but it's got nothing to do with it being a Nissan, and everything to do with the trials and tribulations of a guy installing an SR20, suffering great difficulty, then dropping in an LS engine... The yanks really know how to build awesome cars in my opinion...

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Love this thread. I'm always useless at finding stuff like that lol!

mattylol

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsubishi Evo 6
more threads please lads i read through the Hako one last night page for page i started at half 7 or somthing and got done at 12.20ish lol unbeliveable tho worth every min!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Quite a few in the Member's Cars section actually. Maybe not quite as extravagant as some of the above, but still impressive.

Keith's Nova springs to mind, the DeLorean thread, quite a few Mini and Ford threads, Peden's projects, and so on. Not just some wheels and removed suspension, but proper builds.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
No doubt about it Sven, but this thread is more so about the custom fabricating, unique builds, the extreme length some guys go to in order to achieve thier perfect motor. I've a great

Hot Rod thread to link up later too... The work in them is mind blowing...

Shaun

RMS Regular
Remember reading that saab one a while back, some awesome work went into it. Well worth the read.

I always see myself looking through builds on driftworks then going and finding like an Australian forum etc and seeing the builds over there. Usually always ends up being ae86's lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Or something like this:

Tons of high quality hot rod builds in Turnip land. When I was a lad we had one of the biggest tuning shops and car shows in a field (literally!) just round the corner in the tiny village of Vallakra. V8 Amazon Volvo drag racers and hot rods were common as chips, lol :grinning: Not to mention the "Epa-traktor" - usually an old Volvo Duett modified beyond recognition. You could register them as a tractor and drive them from 15, but they were limited to 20mph so everything went into coach building instead.

Ah, those were the days 8-|

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.